SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

White Fragrant Himalayan Champaca

No-Clue
10 years ago

Hi all,

I normally frequent the Plumeria Forum but really should be here more since I'm all about fragrance! I recently added on some roses (mostly David Austins since they have the most scent) and gardenias. Anyway, I was looking for an Evergreen tree with a nice fragrance but since every other person on our street has a Magnolia tree, I decided to be different.

Went to our local Armstrong and as I was walking by this one section my nose picked up this amazing scent. It was so familiar I wanted to weep. This scent reminds me of my wonderful childhood and suddenly I was flooded with all kind of emotions. I continued sniffing and the sale person said "There are no flowers here, maybe you are smelling the gardenias on the next row". And I said no this is different... this is my childhood... I must find it. Then I reached 5 of these
Michelia champaca 'Alba' trees but all we saw were leaves and some buds. I kept on looking and sure enough one bud hiding behind some leaves was about to open. The scent was heavenly! I just knew they (Yep I bought TWO) had to come home with me.

I am planning to put one in the front yard which gets full sun from 12 noon to sunset. The back yard gets morning sun. So we shall see which location is best for this tree.

Anyway, I don't know what this tree is but this has to be the MOST fragrant tree/flowers I have ever smelled. As much as I love the roses, gardenias, jasmines and plumerias... nothing even come close this this! Just one little flower and my whole kitchen smells wonderful. I'm in love!!

Comments (11)