SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladywindsurfer

Nice Find at a Local Nursery!

ladywindsurfer
14 years ago

Happened to be in the vicinity of one of the chain nursery outlets recently and decided to check their stock for any unusual plants.

Found that they were stocking some nice Helleborus cultivars, that I haven't seen in my area before:

Helleborus x ballardiae 'Pink Frost'

Helleborus x nigercors 'Green Heron'

Helleborus x hybridus - Mardi Gras Strain from Seattle breeder, Charles Price (4 color shades available)

Hopefully this is just a sample of what they will be offering in the future!

Heretofore, if you wanted any of the latest hybrids and cultivars, you had to order them on-line and pay a princely price for a 3½-4" pot and then mortgage the farm to pay shipping & handling. Some places even charge $5 for the shipping carton and an order processing fee of $10-$15, in addition to the shipping charges! At one west coast nursery I recently checked, 2 Helleborus, in 4" pots, cost $50 ($25 ea.) and minimum shipping charges to the East coast was $39. A deal Killer!

In addition to the Helleborus, I found Daphne odora (pink or white blooms) (1 and 3 gal.) and a rare find, flowering Edgeworthia chrysantha in 3 gal. containers.

They also had some nice Camellias, in bloom. But didn't find any that I don't have.

Fortunately, a number of the above mentioned plants followed me home! As soon as the temperatures warm a bit and wind calms down, maybe today, Sat & Sun, I will have them planted, in time for showers on Monday.

Comments (10)

Sponsored