SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Nice people at local nursery

caterwallin
16 years ago

They gave me some two-and three-gallon pots so now I can transplant the ones that I just have in one-gallon pots and hopefully I can keep them like that from one year to the other. This planting and transplanting is just too much to do every year. It's costing me more money in potting soil and garden soil than I had planned on, but if I can save myself some work in the end, then I think it's worth it. I'll have a lot of work this year for smoother sailing next year and years to follow. I had planted Swamp Milkweed seeds in 24 pots last fall so I could put them in the butterfly cage (if I ever get it done) for the Monarchs to eat...much easier than picking leaves and keeping the cats in jars...that about drove me bonkers. It's okay for a few but NOT 70 caterpillars.

My Tropical Milkweed are outgrowing the containers I have them in (smaller than one gallon, just regular 6" green plastic pots you'd find a plant in at Lowe's, so after I get the Swamp Milkweeds out of the one-gallon pots, then I'll move the Tropical Milkweed in them. So far they seem shorter and bushier than my Swamp Milkweed, so I'm thinking that they will be okay all summer in the one-gallon pots. I guess I'll collect seed from the Tropicals and start them again next year since they will freeze outside this winter, and I really don't think I want to drag several dozen of them inside this winter. Ha. I suppose it would be okay just to start the new ones in those containers from the start just like I did the Swamp Milkweed seeds last fall instead of going through the transplanting again. It has taken up lots of time. Today I HOPE my daughter and I can plant the Swamp Milkweed bed. That will be one less thing to think about. So many things on my mind....Can you tell?! :-D

Cathy

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals