SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

What is your favorite season/month in your garden? What time of year does your garden look the best, at least to your eye? Why do you think so?

What do you think is the most unattractive season/month in your garden? Why do you think so? Do you have any plans for amending it?

My favorite time in my garden is spring, late May to early June. I like it best then for several reasons: 1) everything is so lush and new, nothing has browned or died back yet 2) some of my favorite plants are blooming in this time period (roses, peonies, iris- the 'Holy Trinity' of the gardening world!) and 3) I like the jewel-toned colors the dominate the garden then.

My least favorite time in the garden is August, when it gets super hot outside. It is that time inbetween the brilliance of the July garden and the new flush of the early fall garden. I find that no matter what I do the heat will always sap some of the life out of my plants. Not much I can do about the heat. But I do plan on tweaking things by adding a few things that bloom then yet still look nice and fresh.

Your turn!

CMK

Comments (13)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

Hello! i agree that late may(as soon as frost danger has past) through june is wonderful, however i love it all the way through september! I think the worst month was october, it makes me sad to see the leaves fall off plants and roses stop blooming.I know its weird but mums and fall plants just dont do anything for me! I did plant alot of perrenials this fall, and im hoping i did things correctly and they all come back (esp my new dwarf mock orange!)
    Also i get really excited the first grass cutting, whenever that is! I love the scent, and the look of a fresh cut lawn.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I love all the seasons, but my garden probably looks the best early summer when most things bloom.
    The season I like the least is early spring when I'm anxious for everything to bloom but hardly anything is. I purchased some muscari bulbs this fall to help with that.

• Related Discussions

EarthTainer 'Farm' July 16 - 'Best of Times; Worst of Times' pics

Q

Comments (6)
    alisande, This is my first year growing cucumbers, and they are a hoot. Must be my imagination, but they seem to go from a tiny "pickle" to 8 inches long in a week. Surely, this can't be true, and I've got to pay more attention, but in the photo above, I was really stunned to find four of the Burpless that had developed so quickly. Guess I am used to the long cycles for tomatoes and Peppers. Ben, I will concur that Goose Creek is more "sensitized" to disease versus a variety like Big Beef (above), so that is why I grow a range of varieties. Next Season, I am going to try to isolate the Goose Creek Tainer far back in the yard to see if separation from the other tomato plants will help it resist fungal disease a bit better. Raybo
    ...See More

Quotes 12 - 25 - 15

Q

Comments (3)
    It's nice to find among some old favorites, new quotes. I must admit that Dickens and cows in the Swiss Alps show me a Charles Dickens I don't know.
    ...See More

A tale of two Wisteria.....

Q

Comments (3)
    just thinking outside the box ... could you just kill the maple.. and leave it standing there.. as garden art .. it might rot and fall in a decade or so ... im just thinking .... sooner or later.. you arent going to be able to keep it in check ... ken
    ...See More

Quotes 10 - 20 - 17

Q

Comments (3)
    This one: What, I sometimes wonder, would it be like if I lived in a country where winter is a matter of a few chilly days and a few weeks' rain; where the sun is never far away, and the flowers bloom all year long? Anna Neagle I'll never know, and I'm glad I won't As for the rest, Art Buchwald and Tom Petty quotes are all just so spot on.
    ...See More
  • christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

-lilyfinch, what kind of Mock Orange is it? I have been thinking of ordering a dwarf MO called 'Snow Dwarf'. I love it when they develope dwarf shrubs!

-hollygarden, while I don't think my garden looks the best in early spring (for the reason you mentioned, not a lot up and bloomin') I must agree. Often times in fall I will complain about how much bulbs are, how they do not provide instant gratification, they have to be dug so far in etc. But they DO give me so much pleasure, especially after a long and hard winter! This year I finaly bought a bunch of Tulip bulbs. I figured it was deserved if I could get through a winter as tough as last!
    CMK

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

Christin, it is called miniature snowflake, said to get 3 ft tall and 2ft wide, which is pretty much its current size. Ive only smelled one in bloom once, and it stuck with me, so i really cant wait to see it bloom next year! And its the perfect size for my garden.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Nov. to the end of Feb. are certainly the 'quiet' times in the garden here, although once we get snow, the garden is quite pretty again. But this thread made me think about what the next spectacular show - not for more tan 6 months unfortunately! - will be. This year was the first year that the Chinese wisteria we planted in 2000 to grow as a tree put on a really spectacular spring show! It's been blooming lightly for a couple of springs now, and it's always had quite a nice secondary bloom in July, but this year it obviously reached a key growth milestone. This is my favorite picture of it with a young friend visiting the garden, perfectly color-coordinated with the tree!
    {{gwi:11742}}

The tree still needs a few more years for the woody framework to thicken up and become more substantial, because it still looks a bit spindly from a distance:
    {{gwi:11741}}

It'll be a few more years before the Japanese wisteria tree at the north end of the bed gets big enough to bloom and continue to show once the Chinese wisteria at the south end of the bed is finished blooming.

I've got my fingers crossed for a not-too-harsh winter and no May frosts next spring!

• scully931
    14 years ago

Ooo... that wisteria tree is BEAUTIFUL! I used to have one, but the people on here made me get rid of it. haha. (Just kidding.)

Best time: MAY! I LOVE MAY!
    Worse: Late October/November. Everything just turned brown this year. No beautiful colors. Even if there are pretty colors it is my least favorite time because it is the beginning of the longest period of cold weather. I'll even take January over it, because at least the gardening catalogues are out and I can watch Philip from Cottage Farms on QVC. haha. ;-)

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Woodyoak- Gorgeous wisteria! I wish I could grow that in my zone :)

The most impressive month in our yard is early May, when our huge purple/lavender/white lilac hedge blooms behind our fifty year old apple tree. When they all bloom at the same time it's beautiful. I can't take credit for any of it, as my husband's grandmother planted them all, but it's the best show in our yard.

The worst time is probably February, when it's either snow for the fourth month or muddy clay everywhere. Nothing is blooming yet and the daffodils don't even come out until mid-late March.

I just started my gardens this year and while I'll never top the lilac hedge/apple tree combo, I am hoping to let the roses and lavender come in a close second :)

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Late Spring when the lightening bugs start coming out at dusk. When I watch them flashing and darting around the yard I drift back to my girlhood and all the happy memories of that time. Yes the garden is luscious at that time too with a riot of blooming and bee activities all day long. Cheryl

• irene_dsc
    14 years ago

The worst is early spring, when nothing is blooming and everything is just gray and slushy. I wait breathless with anticipation for everything to come back to life and start blooming, and read reports from southern gardens with envy!

July is usually the peak of the garden, but September has been pretty good this year, too. I had a few weeks in August when it seemed like everything was lavender, but then the sedum Autumn Joy started deepening color and pulled it back in balance.

• cottagegirl_tn
    14 years ago

Best for me is mid spring when everything is fresh and new. Worst is December-February. I drink in the tiniest bit of green thru these times and try to entertain myself with daffodil shoots, hellebore blooms and winter jasmine. I think God also made evergreens and things with berries to keep us from insanity in winter! LOL
    Jen F

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Woodyoak, Gorgeous Wisteria!! Do you have to prune it regularly over the summer to keep it in check?

Lilyfinch, I just planted that dwarf mockorange this year too! I saw it at a nursery in NY and I swear it just jumped into my car!! There was NO way I was leaving without it!

I really like all the seasons in the garden. They all have so many different, special qualities depending on what is blooming, growing, showing off colors, etc. I've tried hard over the years to make sure I was planting for interest in all seasons.

Generally there is nothing going on after the fall colors have gone and before the snow/ice has started. While I'm not a fan of driving in snow and ice, it sure makes for nice garden photography and some beautiful "take your breath away" moments. But the month or so leading up to that is quite boring.

• token28001
    14 years ago

The last week of June is my best time. That's when the rudbeckias and shastas are in full bloom and last year's hibiscus have grown up and are just starting to open. Within a week, the shastas will be done, the hibiscus needs constant deadheading, and the rudbeckias are being pecked to death by goldfinches.

{{gwi:284924}}

The worst time, probably January. That's when the magic happens in the bottles at the end of the driveway though.

{{gwi:343752}}

February

{{gwi:367171}}

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

thyme2dig - yes, pruning is a constant activity but simple to do - because I don't do the finicky pruning that is considered 'proper' for wisterias! I just pinch/cut back all the whippy, curly new growths that appear, to redirect the energy into flowerbuds. Also, the long-arm pruners we use makes it simple to snip things off. We'll keep the 'tree' more or less to it's current size. It usually throws 3-4 root suckers each year so we have to watch for and remove those when they appear. So far at least, it hasn't been difficult to manage. I think being on the margin of their hardiness makes it a more manageable proposition! Also, growing it as a free-standing tree somewhere where there is nothing it can latch onto and where you can walk around it to prune/remove suckers easily helps a lot!

The Chinese wisterias have a secondary flush of flowers in the summer and I've noticed that, when the new growth is pinched back, in about 2 weeks or so, a flower appears near where the growth was pinched! From the second year in the ground, it produced some summer flowers. We didn't get a significant spring bloom until 2006 but, since the 'tree' was smaller then, it wasn't as spectacular as this year. We had a couple of years with frosts in early May that killed off flowerbuds but the frosts missed us this year. The Japanese wisterias, I gather, don't do the summer bloom so I won't have any indication of the blooming ability of the Japanese one until it blooms the first time. I figure it'll probably take at least another 2-3 years for the Japanese one to bloom as it was planted in 2007 so is still very young.

It's unfortunate that the display, and heavenly scent!, only lasts for about a week. But it was pretty amazing and we're already looking forward to a repeat (hopefully!) for this coming spring.

Sponsored