Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 10 - 20 - 17

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Charles Ives Quotes
American - Composer October 20, 1874 - May 19, 1954

A rare experience of a moment at daybreak, when something in nature seems to reveal all consciousness, cannot be explained at noon. Yet it is part of the day's unity.
Charles Ives

Expression, to a great extent, is a matter of terms, and terms are anyone's. The meaning of 'God' may have a billion interpretations if there be that many souls in the world.
Charles Ives

The fabric of existence weaves itself whole.
Charles Ives

But maybe music was not intended to satisfy the curious definiteness of man. Maybe it is better to hope that music may always be transcendental language in the most extravagant sense.
Charles Ives

Vagueness is at times an indication of nearness to a perfect truth.
Charles Ives

If a composer has a nice wife and some nice children, how can he let the children starve on his dissonances?
Charles Ives

One thing I am certain of is that, if I have done anything good in music, it was, first, because of my father, and second, because of my wife.
Charles Ives

Every great inspiration is but an experiment - though every experiment we know, is not a great inspiration.
Charles Ives

In 'thinking up' music I usually have some kind of a brass band with wings on it in back of my mind.
Charles Ives

It is conceivable that what is unified form to the author or composer may of necessity be formless to his audience.
Charles Ives

You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance.
Charles Ives

There can be nothing exclusive about substantial art. It comes directly out of the heart of the experience of life and thinking about life and living life.
Charles Ives

If a poet knows more about a horse than he does about heaven, he might better stick to the horse, and some day the horse may carry him into heaven.
Charles Ives

Tommy Douglas Quotes
Canadian - Clergyman October 20, 1904 - February 24, 1986

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Tommy Douglas

Canada is like an old cow. The West feeds it. Ontario and Quebec milk it. And you can well imagine what it's doing in the Maritimes.
Tommy Douglas

Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas

I don't mind being a symbol but I don't want to become a monument. There are monuments all over the Parliament Buildings and I've seen what the pigeons do to them.
Tommy Douglas

I'm sure that the standard of public morality we've helped build will force government in Canada to approve complete health insurance.
Tommy Douglas

Setting people to spy on one another is not the way to protect freedom.
Tommy Douglas

My dream is for people around the world to look up and to see Canada like a little jewel sitting at the top of the continent.
Tommy Douglas

I remember burying a girl fourteen years of age who had died with a ruptured appendix... I buried a good many people that I knew, some of whom I loved.
Tommy Douglas

Anna Neagle Quotes
English - Actress October 20, 1904 - June 3, 1986

But the important thing about learning to wait, I feel sure, is to know what you are waiting for.
Anna Neagle

The time I had waited probably made the difference between success and failure.
Anna Neagle

If we fix a goal and work towards it, then we are never just passing time.
Anna Neagle

Solitude is pleasant. Loneliness is not.
Anna Neagle

But if we learn to think of it as anticipation, as learning, as growing, if we think of the time we spend waiting for the big things of life as an opportunity instead of a passing of time, what wonderful horizons open out!
Anna Neagle

What, I sometimes wonder, would it be like if I lived in a country where winter is a matter of a few chilly days and a few weeks' rain; where the sun is never far away, and the flowers bloom all year long?
Anna Neagle

I have always found it difficult to wait for things - whether it was to see my father or sailor brother, Alan, again after their long sea trips, or the chance of a better job, or even new curtains.
Anna Neagle

Naturally enough when I was a young dancer, I was terribly anxious to get ahead, and to get ahead quickly. I was impatient with all those older people who talked of the long grind to the top, who turned me down for jobs I knew I could do.
Anna Neagle

Everyone needs some time to themselves.
Anna Neagle

No matter how much we love our family and friends, a part of us needs the occasional moment of solitude as a plant needs water. It is the inmost core of each of us that, that part which nobody can define but which we all recognize because it never changes.
Anna Neagle

But the delights of solitude don't only consist of dreaming. Next in enjoyment, I think, comes planning.
Anna Neagle

So it is necessary that we should learn to be alone.
Anna Neagle

Stephane Hessel Quotes
French - Diplomat October 20, 1917 - February 26, 2013

If you want to be a real human being - a real woman, a real man - you cannot tolerate things which put you to indignation, to outrage. You must stand up. I always say to people, 'Look around; look at what makes you unhappy, what makes you furious, and then engage yourself in some action.'
Stephane Hessel

For me, true and authentic democracy occurs when the privileged groups assist the unprivileged groups to become more privileged.
Stephane Hessel

Death is something to savour, and I hope to savour mine.
Stephane Hessel

I always say that when a country wins with such overwhelming might, it's bad news for that country.
Stephane Hessel

The wealthy have installed their slaves in the highest spheres of the state. The banks are privately owned. They are concerned solely with profits. They have no interest in the common good.
Stephane Hessel

My mother once said to me, 'You must promise to be happy; it is the greatest favour you can do to others'. It has guided me throughout my life.
Stephane Hessel

I wish for you all, each of you, to have your own motive for indignation. This is precious. When something outrages you as I was outraged by Nazism, then people become militant, strong, and involved.
Stephane Hessel

From 1967, all the Israeli governments continued making two big mistakes: occupation and settlement in the territories.
Stephane Hessel

As long as Palestinian violence exists, but not a Palestinian state, Israel is in danger, because it cannot obtain assistance from the international community against an entity that is not subordinate to international law.
Stephane Hessel

Let us not be defeated by the tyranny of the world financial markets that threaten peace and democracy everywhere.
Stephane Hessel

To create is to resist; to resist is to create.
Stephane Hessel

I never felt like a good Jew. My mother was not Jewish, and that makes me a non-Jew according to Jewish religious law.
Stephane Hessel

The revolutions of my century, the 20th century - the Soviet revolution, or the Chinese, or the revolutions that were fomented in Latin America, such as in Cuba - failed for the most part, a failure which was completely clear by the end of the century.
Stephane Hessel

I was a young boy when I met the Surrealists and the Dadaists. I admired them, and that is what they taught me: to admire. Admiration is very important. People who are unable to admire others lose an important part of their soul. My soul developed from a very early age through encounters with admired people.
Stephane Hessel

I feel that I am completely in solidarity with Jews in the world, because I know what it is to be a Jew. I've seen what it is; I am myself of Jewish origin, and therefore I can only be fully in support of the idea that the Jews, after all they've suffered, need a country where they are at home.
Stephane Hessel

I've been tremendously lucky. I went through things that turned out wrong, and I got myself out of them.
Stephane Hessel

History can bring luck: this is what we can call optimism.
Stephane Hessel

Art Buchwald Quotes
American - Journalist October 20, 1925 - January 17, 2007

You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it.
Art Buchwald

Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.
Art Buchwald

The buffalo isn't as dangerous as everyone makes him out to be. Statistics prove that in the United States more Americans are killed in automobile accidents than are killed by buffalo.
Art Buchwald

Tax reform is taking the taxes off things that have been taxed in the past and putting taxes on things that haven't been taxed before.
Art Buchwald

A bad liver is to a Frenchman what a nervous breakdown is to an American. Everyone has had one and everyone wants to talk about it.
Art Buchwald

Every time you think television has hit its lowest ebb, a new program comes along to make you wonder where you thought the ebb was.
Art Buchwald

This is a wonderful way to celebrate an 80th birthday... I wanted to be 65 again, but they wouldn't let me - Homeland Security.
Art Buchwald

Television has a real problem. They have no page two.
Art Buchwald

I worship the quicksand he walks in.
Art Buchwald

The powder is mixed with water and tastes exactly like powder mixed with water.
Art Buchwald

Have you ever seen a candidate talking to a rich person on television?
Art Buchwald

I always wanted to get into politics, but I was never light enough to make the team.
Art Buchwald

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
Art Buchwald

So far things are going my way. I am known in the hospice as The Man Who Wouldn't Die. I don't know if this is true or not, but I think some people, not many, are starting to wonder why I'm still around.
Art Buchwald

Tom Petty Quotes
American - Musician Born: October 20, 1950 - October 2, 2017

Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things.
Tom Petty

Go after what you really love and find a way to make that work for you, and then you'll be a happy person.
Tom Petty

You and I will meet again, When we're least expecting it, One day in some far off place, I will recognize your face, I won't say goodbye my friend, For you and I will meet again.
Tom Petty

Do something you really like, and hopefully it pays the rent. As far as I'm concerned, that's success.
Tom Petty

What I've learned about marriage: You need to have each other's back; you have to be a kind of team going through life.
Tom Petty

Most things I worry about never happen anyway.
Tom Petty

If you're not getting older, you're dead.
Tom Petty

I don't think it's a good attitude in your life to feel that you have to be rich to have self-esteem.
Tom Petty

I don't treat the band like I'm above them or that they're a hired hand for me. We've never worked that way. So I'm a team player. I would be very uncomfortable having to do this alone.
Tom Petty

It's funny how the music industry is enraged about the Internet and the way things are copied without being paid for. But you know why people steal the music? Because they can't afford the music.
Tom Petty

Rock n' roll was one thing, and then they chopped off the 'roll' and called it 'rock,' which became a sort of umbrella term for anything with a guitar in it. Like hair bands. How could we possibly believe that? It's just gotten downright silly, to the point where now it's sort of become like professional wrestling.
Tom Petty

When I decided to be a musician I reckoned that that was going to be the way of less profit, less money. I was sort of giving up the idea of making a lot of money. It was what I loved to do. I would have done it anyway. If I'd had to work at Taco Bell I'd have still been out at night trying to play music.
Tom Petty

I'm not exactly a guy who makes new friends easily.
Tom Petty

You get into your late fifties, people start falling like flies all around you. I don't take life for granted any more. I'm really glad to be here.
Tom Petty

I don't know, my music has always just come from where the wind blew me. Like where I'm at during a particular moment in time.
Tom Petty

I'm barely prolific and incredibly lazy.
Tom Petty

Making a record? You've got to have the song, then you create a record. I think it's the same with a live performance. If the material is strong, you're already 90% there. I always tell young people it's all about the music, the songs. Work on the songs, work on the songs, work on the songs.
Tom Petty

I developed a problem with authority. Any time that authority was what I interpreted as being unjust, I stood up to it, and that became my personality.
Tom Petty

TV does not care about you or what happens to you. It's downright bad for your health now, and that's not a far-out concept. I think watching the TV news is bad for you. It is bad for your physical health and your mental health.
Tom Petty

The energy of the crowd is insane. Twenty thousand people. It's the biggest jolt of adrenaline. It's very hard to explain. You know the old story about the woman lifting the car off her kid? It's in that realm. You can actually hurt yourself and not know it.
Tom Petty

Sometimes, giving up your privacy is a little like going to the dentist and we have let him have access that no one's ever had.
Tom Petty

It's very easy to be cynical about the hall of fame. But on the other hand, it's really a beautiful thing for someone like me. I dedicated my entire life to this music.
Tom Petty

I think television's become a downright dangerous thing. It has no moral barometer whatsoever. If you want to talk about something that is all about money, just watch the television.
Tom Petty

'Free Fallin' is a very good song. Maybe it would be one of my favorites if it hadn't become this huge anthem. But I'm grateful that people like it.
Tom Petty

I have turned down a lot of money for things that would have made me feel cheesy.
Tom Petty

I tend to write on an acoustic guitar or the piano. I have kind of a rule: if I can't sit down and play this and get the song over, I don't take it to the band, because most any good song, you can sit down and deliver it with a piano or a guitar.
Tom Petty

When I met Elvis, we didn't really have a conversation. I was introduced by my uncle, and he sort of grunted my way. What stays with me is the whole scene. I had never seen a real mob scene before. I was really young and impressionable. Elvis really did look - he looked sort of not real, as if he were glowing.
Tom Petty

I would never put my songs in a commercial.
Tom Petty

There used to be this real sense of community integrity in rock. It has really eroded. Everyone seems to be on their own now.
Tom Petty

I love history, doesn't matter what era, I'm fascinated.
Tom Petty

I think that if people realize that with an mp3, you're only getting five percent of the sound that's there. But when you hear the entire thing... I think it would save the music business. It's such a drastic change.
Tom Petty

When I go to see people, I always kind of hope they are going to play some kind of songs I know. So you've got to know your audience. It's kind of something that is a blessing and a curse in a way. You're obligated to play some of that stuff that people know, but I don't think that's all you have to do.
Tom Petty

The great thing about the Wilburys was that none of us had to take the heat by ourselves. I was just a member of the band. Nobody felt like he was above anybody else. We had such a good time.
Tom Petty

We don't really make bad records, though some people might like some more than others. And we have never really done a bad show. So I think in a way maybe we've been taken for granted.
Tom Petty

When I was a kid, we didn't have any blues stations. I never heard Howlin' Wolf or Muddy Waters or any of those people until the Stones had come along, and I took it upon myself to find out who these people were that they were covering.
Tom Petty

When you get older, your health becomes important to you, things start breaking down, you've always got a different ache or pain.
Tom Petty

The first time I tried to write was when I was 14, after I got an electric guitar. I put a song together, and it wasn't that bad! The writing came natural to me.
Tom Petty

I've never had any idea that what I like would resonate with the audience, and I'm pleasantly surprised when it does.
Tom Petty

The music business looks like, you know, innocent schoolboys compared to the TV business. They care about nothing but profit.
Tom Petty

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions