SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 11 - 10 - 17 page 2

User
6 years ago

James Broughton Quotes
American - Director November 10, 1913 - May 17, 1999

I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless.
James Broughton

Trusting your individual uniqueness challenges you to lay yourself open.
James Broughton

Amazement awaits us at every corner.
James Broughton

True delicacy is not a fragile thing.
James Broughton

If bitterness wants to get into the act, I offer it a cookie or a gumdrop.
James Broughton

If you don't fill your days with love, you are wasting your life.
James Broughton

The quietest poetry can be an explosion of joy.
James Broughton

I tried to stir the imagination and enthusiasms of students to take risks, to do what they were most afraid of doing, to widen their horizons of action.
James Broughton

Some artists shrink from self-awareness, fearing that it will destroy their unique gifts and even their desire to create. The truth of the matter is quite opposite.
James Broughton

I had a toy theater and a magic lantern, and when I was eight I built a stage for theatricals in the attic.
James Broughton

Poetry for me is as much a spiritual practice as sexual ecstasy is.
James Broughton

Everything that ever happened is still happening. Past, present and future keep happening in the eternity which is Here and Now.
James Broughton

The most astonishing joy is to receive from the muses the gift of a whole lyric.
James Broughton

The only limits are, as always, those of vision.
James Broughton

Consciousness is the glory of creation.
James Broughton

Adversity is a stimulus.
James Broughton

I like things which appear fragile but are tough inside.
James Broughton

My earliest poems sing of the absolute necessity of allowing love to invade and pervade one's life. That can make the miracle happen in reality. Try it.
James Broughton

For me, prose walks, poetry dances.
James Broughton

Most poets in their youth begin in adolescent sadness. I find it more rewarding to end in gladness.
James Broughton

Everything is Song. Everything is Silence. Since it all turns out to be illusion, perfectly being what it is, having nothing to do with good or bad, you are free to die laughing.
James Broughton

Rarest of the real poets are born poets. They are the oddballs, not the professors.
James Broughton

A born poet knows in his cradle that a poetic life is the only life worth living.
James Broughton

I often start writing in order to excite an expansive emotion.
James Broughton

For me a poem has to sing out of itself and the lilt of it carries the magic.
James Broughton

The American public does not know poets exist.
James Broughton

Being identified as a poet in France or Denmark or India one is greeted with gracious respect.
James Broughton

Today the U.S. is farther from being nourished by poetry than it was a hundred years ago, when books of poems were best-sellers.
James Broughton

In the world of poetry there are would-be poets, workshop poets, promising poets, lovesick poets, university poets, and a few real poets.
James Broughton

I never wanted to dilute my private passion for the art by airing and arguing it in public.
James Broughton

Acclaim is a distraction.
James Broughton

Most poets, like most people, try hard to be like someone they admire or they are possessed with an image of what they ought to be.
James Broughton

My major aim in writing is to set out flags and issue wake-up calls.
James Broughton

And to Shakespeare I owe my vision of the world as a theater, wherein all humans are acting out their parts.
James Broughton

Dance, vaudeville, drama, movies - as a child I loved everything that went on in a theater.
James Broughton

My films are an extension of my poetry, using the white screen like the white page to be filled with images.
James Broughton

I consider my films to be poems that are all as personal as my writing and as hand-made.
James Broughton

Work in the theater sharpened my verse and my cinema.
James Broughton

Lilly Pulitzer Quotes
American - Celebrity November 10, 1931 - April 7, 2013

Being happy never goes out of style.
Lilly Pulitzer

I am a believer that color affects people's moods.
Lilly Pulitzer

I can't put into words what I think about anything.
Lilly Pulitzer

Style isn't just about what you wear, it's about how you live.
Lilly Pulitzer

I don't like my whole life dragged out. I don't want anyone to know about me, because I don't think I'm very interesting... I like my work. I like what I gave. And that was it.
Lilly Pulitzer

Time means nothing to me.
Lilly Pulitzer

I designed collections around whatever struck my fancy... fruits, vegetables, politics, or peacocks! I entered in with no business sense.
Lilly Pulitzer

Seeing Michelle Obama's bright color choices, and how she made people smile and reinforced Obama's platforms of hope and change, was inspiring.
Lilly Pulitzer

I loved my boarding school, but I didn't know what I wanted to do. I didn't have a career.
Lilly Pulitzer

Russell Means Quotes
American - Activist November 10, 1939 - October 22, 2012

All European tradition, Marxism included, has conspired to defy the natural order of all things. Mother Earth has been abused, the powers have been abused, and this cannot go on forever. No theory can alter that simple fact. Mother Earth will retaliate, the whole environment will retaliate, and the abusers will be eliminated.
Russell Means

So Indian policy has become institutionalized and the result has been that American people have become more dependent on government and that the American people have become more dependent on corporations.
Russell Means

I had often wondered how to best decolonize my people... It must be done one human being at a time. Without that kind of help, Western society does not allow people to come to terms with their feelings. With honesty and therapy, my people can be made whole again.
Russell Means

Everyone who's born in the Western Hemisphere is a Native American. We are all Native Americans.
Russell Means

It takes a strong effort on the part of each American Indian not to become Europeanized. The strength for this effort can only come from the traditional ways, the traditional values that our elders retain.
Russell Means

I tell the truth, and I expose myself as a weak, misguided, misdirected, dysfunctional human being I used to be.
Russell Means

No one except Hollywood stars and very rich Texans wore Indian jewelry. And there was a plethora of dozens if not hundreds of athletic teams that in essence were insulting us, from grade schools to college. That's all changed.
Russell Means

The one thing I've always maintained is that I'm an American Indian. I'm not politically correct.
Russell Means

Let me go to Clinton's new proposal: to have uniforms in public schools. And people are doing that. How come they're doing that? Dress codes! I find that abhorrent.
Russell Means

It's just unconscionable that America has become so stupid.
Russell Means

'Indian policy' has now been brought down upon the American people, and the American people are the new Indians of the 21st Century.
Russell Means

Being is a spiritual proposition. Gaining is a material act. Traditionally, American Indians have always attempted to be the best people they could. Part of that spiritual process was and is to give away wealth, to discard wealth in order not to gain.
Russell Means

Young people and Indian people need to know that we existed in the 20th Century. We need to know who our heroes are and to know what we have done and accomplished in this century other than what Olympic athletes Jim Thorpe and Billy Mills have done.
Russell Means

In the government schools, which are referred to as public schools, Indian policy has been instituted there, and its a policy where they do not encourage, in fact, discourage, critical thinking and the creation of ideas and public education.
Russell Means

Hollywood hasn't changed. It is the most racist, anti-Indian institution in the world.
Russell Means

I never knew I was an artist until I did 'Last of the Mohicans'.
Russell Means

I'd like to talk about free markets. Information in the computer age is the last genuine free market left on earth except those free markets where indigenous people are still surviving. And that's basically becoming limited.
Russell Means

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions