SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bwmason

Fragrance - Michelia champaca vs Maudaie

bwmason
17 years ago

I just discovered some wonderful news for those of us not living in Florida - we who experience frosts can, for all intensive purposes, also experience the fragrance of M. Champaca 'Alba' without the hassle of bringing a plant indoors. The secret is M. Maudaie.

I bought a M. Maudaie about 3 years ago at a local nursury (in BC they are cultivated at a wholesaler called Piroche Plants and distributed locally). Despite the usual initial leaf loss Michelia sometimes teases us with the tree has easily survived 3 winterss as low as -11C without a scratch!!!. The fragrance is absolutely wonderful and wafts 25'-30' at least. In 3 years it has grown from 4' to over 12'.

Now the best part. For years I have been looking for M Champaca 'Alba' because of the wonderful fragrance reputation you have all given it. I finally got a 5 gallon today and guess what - the scent is practically identical to M. Champaca 'Alba'. The only difference I see is that M. Maudiae is not as powerful up close as M. Champaca 'Alba' but many people would probably prefer a more subdued fragrance anyway.

My M. Maudaie is in high organic soil (not fast draining, but not a swamp either), and is on the NE corner of our house (morning sun) in North Vancouver BC.

I do not log in here much anymore as my tropical/fragrant themed garden is pretty much full, so please don't be upset if I do not answer any follow up questions.

Comment (1)