SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roflol

Intro, and question re 'Happy Returns'

roflol
16 years ago

Hi, I'm Terri in Kansas City, MO, area. I've had two big planters of just "Happy Returns" daylilies flanking my porch for a few years now, ignorantly snapping off the pods and tossing them, thinking they were trash. They have multiplied well, and are sure reliable harbingers of spring!

I was introduced to wintersowing last fall, and suddenly those pods are like green solid gold to me. ;-) I check each day, sometimes a couple of times day, to see if there's a crack indicating *it's time*.

Anyway, I've read a bit of the forum and have seen the opinion that growing Stella D'Oro from seed probably doesn't give the results as other daylily seed. I had thought for the longest time that my HR was a SDO variety, but now I don't find information that would confirm that... so am I wasting time saving seed from my HR? Unless the daylily fairy has been lugging daylily dust around, these are HR x HR as I don't have any other daylilies nearby. And do the seed need to be round and fat like blackberry "lily" seeds to be viable, or is wrinkled/shiny/slippery/black okay?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Terri

:-)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living