SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
an_ill_mannered_ache

catbirdler...

my blueberries are ripening. this is their third spring, and they've got a good number of berries on them. i've noticed for the first time a catbird hanging around the garden, and i perceived a connection... i ordered some bird netting (from bestnest.com--good prices, and i got the netting the third day after ordering) and this morning found a moment to install it over the blueberry row.

just as i was finishing, i looked up to find the dark blue catbird flapping around wildly inside the netting with a dark blue berry in its beak. i mean, i hadn't even FINISHED installing the netting and the blasted bird had already gotten inside. 'catbird pie' floated through my head (i just finished a book on medieval feasting, and just finished watching season 2 of the tudors, which ends with henry chowing on a beautiful, reconstructed roasted swan, feathers and all), but my love of wildlife and general proclivity not to eat meat won over. i called my wife and son out, and with some coaxing (and hilarity) managed to free the catbird, which dropped the blueberry just as it was freed. (i ate it. mmm. probably should have washed it.)

spent the next five minutes carefully pinning the netting down and checking the ends for holes. that said, i doubt the catbird will be back anytime soon.

Comments (4)

• manature
    15 years ago

Hahaha...poor Ill-Man! Glad you were able to handle the problem. Catbirds and Mockers (their cousins) do LOVE fruit, for sure. If it is any consolation, the catbird should be gone soon. April is about as late as they stay in this part of the state...usually. (I'm adding that disclaimer, because lately, birds seem to be disregarding the rules now and then!) Catbirds winter here, where mockers stay all year. Yours should be handing his fruit patroling duties over to his cousins any day now.

Marcia

• dghays
    15 years ago

Let us know how your bird netting works now it's in place. How much did it cost? I have around a half dozen catbirds hanging around my property this winter. Since the mulberries flowered early, I'm getting none. Hoping they will go back soon so I can start eating some. My cardinal and mockingbird population don't put as much pressure as all those catbirds. I also have a lot of natives which produce berries which they also eat, but that many catbirds eat a bit of everything.

Gary

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    Original Author
    15 years ago

it works great, but those catbirds and mockingbirds are SMART. you need to pin down the edges (i'm using bricks). the bird netting is cheap--you can get it at lowes or online--$6 for 14x14, which is big enough for a small tree or a row of berries. easy to install and inconspicuous. looks to be tough enough to last at least a couple seasons.

• dghays
    15 years ago

It'll be a bigger production for me, my bed is 42' long. I'll see how bad my losses are next year. I allowed only a tiny harvest this year to let my plants get bigger. What varieties are you growing?

Gary