SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agardenstateof_mind

Seeking advice on placing a climbing rose

I posted this question in the Rose Forum, but haven't received much response, so thought I'd try here in the Cottage Garden ... which is where I almost posted it in the first place.

I have a three year old David Austin "Pilgrim" (a reblooming lemon yellow with rich, dark green foliage) which can be, and has been, trained as a climbing rose. It still has few canes, the longest of which is now at about 8 feet. This summer I removed it to a large pot, upon discovering a groundhog had severely compromised its root system in excavating its tunnels under our garden shed.

I want to get this rose back in the ground before winter and am considering planting it either 1) to train over an arbor that leads to our front patio or 2) near the south-facing front door of our cape-style home. Our house is dark brown stained natural cedar shakes and my garden style is basically a somewhat naturalized/cottage style, so I think either location will work aesthetically. Culturally or practically, however, I'm looking for advice.

Of course, if the house needs maintenance, the rose will have to be gently pulled aside, and if it becomes distressed (blackspot, insects, whatever may befall a rose), there will be no hiding it right out there by the front door for all the world to see, whereas the arbor, instead of facing front, faces the side, leading to the driveway (so I'd have a shot at preserving my gardening dignity, lol). The dark shakes warm considerably, regardless of the season, from the full sun - might this have an adverse effect on the rose? (i.e., perhaps induce very early spring growth before danger of frost has passed?)

Soil and sun conditions will be essentially the same in both locations for several years. A young Heritage river birch has been planted and will eventually provide a few hours' shade on the arbor mid-day and the front door late afternoon, but both sites will still get plenty of morning and afternoon sun.

I'm hoping someone here might have some knowledge/experience that might help with my decision. There might be some practical considerations I have overlooked that someone else has already lived through.

Thanking you in advance,

Diane

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES