SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kooshball_gw

Need help with Chuck Hayes Gardenia!

kooshball
14 years ago

Some facts:

4 Gardenias were planted in the same bed on 8/29/09. 3 of those are representative of the attached photos, one of

them is healthy and looks great. Soil is clay that was amended with certified compost, plants were planted at / above grade in an area of good drainage. By 10/1/09 leaves on the 3 in question started to yellow and drop. On 10/9/09 I applied epsum salt, ironite and foliar insecticide. pH was 6.9, and was brought to ~6.7.

I continued to apply the foliar spray and was able to stop the yellowing and dropping of the leaves by mid Nov. Recently I noticed that the one good gardenia is still looking great but the other three now have rusty colored leaves and spots on them (top and bottom) as pictured. Additionally I see what looks like exposed "flesh" in the photos of the bright green stem areas. Both of these symptoms are only present on the 3 gardenias in question.

I can't seem to post my photos but hopefully my description makes sense. I have since confirmed that the spots are from white-flies so I wonder if the discoloration of the leaves is a side-effect or another issue.

Comments (10)