SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabrielle12_gw

planting gardenias

gabrielle12
12 years ago

Hello all - I am in need of advice and hope someone might be around even though it's a big holiday weekend! I am in zone 7b about 40 miles southeast of Richmond VA. I am putting in Chuck Hayes gardenias on the north side of the house. They will get full sun until about noon, then shade till about 5 p.m. when they get a little more sun. My soil is sand and/or clay and I added a topsoil/NutriGreen mixture. pH testing showed I needed to raise the acidity and I bought Hi-Yield Aluminum Sulfate based on the garden center's recommendation. I am using Fertilome Root Stimulator 4-10-3 at planting. Finally, I will be applying a 12-4-8 fertilizer made for the garden center "for plants of eastern Virginia" (a friend had great results with this for her gardenias).

My questions are: when do I apply the 12-4-8 fertilizer? For insect and disease control I have had good results with other plants using Bayer Advanced All-In-One Rose & Flower Care. When should this be applied?

I know this is long but wanted to try and provide as much info as possible (and I still may have left something out that you need to know). Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH