SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenghoul

My take on the Gardenia Myth

blutayle
13 years ago

I can remember back as a little child my grandmother having a gardenia plant in her house back in NY. In the winter it would have the most exquisite blooms and a fragrance that to me was haunting. I was hooked. For the next 20years I tried in vain to raise these beautiful, glossy miniature gardenia plants you see around Mother's Day into a giant specimen. Then reality would set in a few weeks later when the plant would abruptly shed all its leaves, sulk, and die. I read every book, searched every forum, consulted every green thumb in the area. There would always be some special rule, ceremony, or ritual you would have to follow for the plant to flourish. Then I moved to Florida...

What a difference a state makes. I quickly learned everything I could not glean from the experts up North. This plant is not really a houseplant but a shrub like an Azalea or Camellia. And the grafted plants are the only ones for Florida due to the nematodes. I experimented with a few plants down here and was shocked at what I found. I picked up a 4ft. Miami Supreme that I planted in a big patio pot from Home Depot. Then I ignored it. Absolutely ignored it. It rained, it blew, cold front after cold front would hit the plant with lows in the upper 20's. The plant would look sad and withered. Then in spring it would flush out and be covered in thousands of blooms the size of my palm. Outside it flourishes...but the moment you take it inside....bam....it nosedives. The light intensity is so important for these plants. So many times in my home up north, the light intensity was too dark, even by a south window with such shortened days. It would attract spider mites like nobody's business and would generally just decay due to the extremely dry indoor conditions. When you tried to keep it wet, it would turn yellow and drop its leaves. I have come to realize that for a short time you can keep a gardenia in the house to enjoy but it really belongs outside. Oh, it can be done. You can have lights on timers, humidifiers, spraying programs for mites, epsom salts and acid fertilizer. You can grow it indoors with lots of fuss. What I have realized is growing Gardenias out of the Sun Belt is like trying to grow tulips and peonies in Florida...just doesn't work. I can plant tulips the first year in Florida, watch them bloom....then after foliage matures, dig them up, put them in the fridge for the chilling period and start over...a big fuss. But if someone gives me a pot of them for the holidays I realize it would be a fleeting moment of enjoyment. The trade off for losing the ease of growing tulips and peonies in Florida is being able to grow gardenias into trees...and ignoring them. They are just part of the landscape. Up North...in a home....they are a fuss...they are not difficult plants by any means...we are just forcing them to grow in a habitat they were not ever meant to see...but for the thrill of the breathtaking pure white flowers...and the haunting fragrance...we will go to great lengths to master this plant. I blame the florists and nursery trade for all the pain I suffered in those early years watching plant after beautiful plant die. They are making money putting plants in our homes that were never meant for captivation. Likewise, down here in Florida, at Home Depot, you will find them selling impatients in June, and Gardenias that are not grafted which will surely die if planted in the ground with the nematodes. These stores do not responsibly tell gardeneres the right thing to do or plant...it is up to us to know the difference. For all those that raise amazing indoor gardenias...hats off to you...it is a labor of love...but no myth of being a very difficult, finnicky plant...just trying to make our homes as welcoming to them as they would expect in their native habitat...and when that flower opens...nothing else matters that took place prior to that moment..it is all worth it!

Comments (18)