SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palmcityfl

Bats-Do they really control mosquitoes?

palmcityfl
16 years ago

My home is next to a nature preserve, a blessing except for the nightly swarms of mosquitoes. As I ran indoors tonight with mosquitoes covering my arms and legs, an idea popped into mind - why not control the mosquitoes with bats? I'm not alone - a group called batconservation.org promotes the use of bat houses to control insects. Have any Florida gardeners attracted bats to control mosquitoes and flying insects? Do these bat houses work? I'm desperate - these mosquitoes are driving me batty!

Gary in Palm City

Following from www.batconservation.org

Bats are extremely important. Yet due to years of unwarranted human fear and persecution, bats are in alarming decline. By putting up a bat house you are helping by giving them a home. You will also benefit from having fewer yard and garden pests, and will enjoy learning about bats and sharing your knowledge with friends and family.

As the primary predators of night-flying insects, bats play a vital role in maintaining the balance of nature. And, as consumers of vast numbers of pests, they rank among humanityÂs most valuable allies. A single little brown bat can catch hundreds of mosquito-sized insects an hour, and a typical colony of big brown bats can protect local farmers from the costly attacks of 18 million root-worms each summer.

Bats are not blind, and are actually very clean animals. They do not get caught in peoples hair or chew through the attic of your house. Bats will not interfere with feeding backyard birds, and they will not be disrupted by pets or children.

http://batconservation.org/content/Bathouseimportance.html

Comments (10)