SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rpr13

Need Advice on Small to Medium Size Conifers!!!

rpr13
12 years ago

I just had a pool installed and need some suggestions...this is driving me crazy.

I have three areas that I need trees (or something) for. I have a very rustic feeling house and yard, cedar shake with exposed beams and stone, and want to maintain this feel with my landscaping around the pool.

I love the way Deodar Cedars look, particularly the drooping pendula of the branches. I have one Deodar Cedar (not the healthiest) and one Bluie Atlas Cedar on the property already...this is what "blends" and just works in this setting.

Here are the areas:

1. On side of pool outside of the sitting area and retaining wall I need screening from my elevated driveway (it slopes drastically down to the house, so you can peer into the pool after stepping one foot off the road down the drive). I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 ~12' Deodar Cedars for this area (about 20' long).

2. We have a small boulder waterfall in a soil planting area that will dump into the pool. The waterfall feature doesn't look great (or natural) sitting in the soil with no plantings yet (it's really a bunch of stacked large stones...not boulders). I need sone graceful plantings to accent this area, compklement the waterfall, and make it look more natural. I also need this tree(s) to provide some screening. The area can probably accomodate two trees that will not get larger than 20 to 25' in height and maybe ~10' in width. Deodars would work but most will become too large eventually. Blue Atlas cedars will not provide enough screening. I don't like Cryptomerias (look more like a bush than a gracefull tree to me). Any ideas here?

3. The most diffuiclt one. On the far side of the pool we have a 9' wide seating area, behind that we have a 3.5' wide planting area, and immediately beyond that we have a concrete retaining wall. We just ran out of roomk here and couldn't push the retianing wall any further out. This 3.5" x 20' long planting area needs to provide some screening (minumum of ~7' high trees, but it's not large enough of a planting area for anything that will grow wider than 5' (it can overhang the wall, but not the seating area). When l;ooking at the pool from the house (which is above the pool) your eyes wil immediately be drawn to these plantings, so I want something that is interesting. Hollies would work, but they are really not interesting and 20' of them will look very blah...almost like a formal hedge which will definitely not work in my rustic surroundings. Dwarf Deodars look promising, but most are a tangled mess without much attention (time I don't have) and even with staking will likey not get to 7'. Nobody has them around here either (northern GA). Some variation in this area would work (alternating plantings), but I would like to work some small conifers into this space to address the need for something interesting that won't just make the whole pool setting look bland and boring. I'm lost on this one, and my landscaper can't come up with anything either.

Sorry for the long winded post...but I've been researching options for a few weeks now and I need help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)