SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

My conifer gardens

Fletcher gardens. Est. 2007. Hah!

Since the weather outside is frightful and the picture sharing seems to be peaking, I figured I take some pictures of my place with some before/after shots and share them with you fine folks here.

For backround, I am a firefighter and bought my house in 2006. I didn't care much for any plants at that point but over the last two years I've been struck by nasty disease, "coniferious infectious grandtitis", a very wicked strain that usually shows several symptoms including ceaselessly searching the internet for conifer information and online plant sources usually followed by inexorbant spending on tiny 'strange' plants that puzzle the neighbors and syptoms also include compulsive planting and replanting to account for sunlight, eventual size and color/texture schemes.

When I bought the house, the previous landscaping was in disarray. Apparently the previous owners were indifferent to gardening.

Front yard evolution:

Front yard, Summer 2006

{{gwi:633419}}

Summer 2007

{{gwi:866601}}

Spring 2008

{{gwi:866603}}

Front yard, December 2008

Side bed, before

{{gwi:866607}}

Side bed, after

{{gwi:866609}}

Front walk path, a couple of the conifers to the left are Cham nootkatensis `Green Arrow', Picea Sitchensis 'Papoose', Picea Pungens 'The Blues', Abies Koreana 'Blaue Eskimo', Abies Koreana 'Silver Pearl', Picea Abies 'Brno' and a few others who's name escapes me at the moment.

{{gwi:866611}}

Conifers here include Picea Omorika 'Peve Tijn', Pinus Syvelstris 'Jeremy', Picea Glauca 'Gnome', Picea Glauca 'Pixie', Abies Procera 'Blaue Zwo', Picea Omorika 'Wodan' and Abies Veitchii 'Rumburk'

{{gwi:866613}}

From left to right, Abies Procera 'Blaue Hexe', Juniper 'Compressa', Cedrus Deodar, 'Snow Sprite', Cham.Pis? 'True Blue', Thuja Occ. 'Morgan' and Picea Abies 'Mrs. Cerrasini'. Forgive my awful spelling.

{{gwi:866615}}

Abies Koreana 'Green Carpet, Picea Pungens 'RH Montgomery pom pom' and either Picea Orientalis 'Skylands' or 'Silver Seedling'. Whichever it is, it is growing very slow. A small japanese maple is planted at the bottom of the picture 'Vics Broom' and as soon as it arrives, I am adding Cedrus Atlantica 'Saphire Nymph' in the bare spot to the bottom right.

{{gwi:866617}}

A closer view of the front and side beds. Too many cultivars to name! (Yes I know they are crowded!)

{{gwi:866618}}

The house from the street. Likely impossible to see(at least for a few years), there are more then a dozen verticle conifers planted amongst the shrubs here including Deodar Cedrus 'Electa Blue', Picea Abies 'Aurea', Abies Pinapso 'Aurea', Deodar Cedrus 'Aurea', Picea ? 'Elegantissma', Metsu...something(basically Dawn Redwood 'Ogon'), Picea Omorika 'Pendula Bruns', Picea Omorika 'Berliner's Weeper', Abies Procera 'Glauca' and Pinus ? 'Jeffri Gold'.

{{gwi:866619}}

{{gwi:866620}}

Most of my conifers are just wee lads but I am young enough to watch and enjoy them in their entirety as they age into magnificent specimens. Maybe in five years I can post their progress.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations