SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
commodoretwit

Living Christmas Tree project (R.YEW.Crazy?)

CommodoreTwit
11 years ago

Yew (taxus) at end of driveway is 5' tall, very healthy. Must be female because decorative red berries adorn it. Love it, but it must be moved as it is knocking over a stone wall.

So here is my grand experiment. Try it as a Christmas tree inside house for the 10-12 days of Christmas, then plunk it back in an already-dug-hole along back yard fence line.

Plan to get it into a nice big pot or bin, in potting soil/loose dirt. Keep it cool barn for 3-4 days. Then bring inside. Our home is kept pretty cool 66-68, but will be dry. I can water it all day if necessary. Will decorate with lights and ornaments. Then on Day 12 inside, out she goes into the new hole. I have dug the hole today (warm out!) about 3feet wide by 18" deep. Will line with leaf mulch to help prevent freezing. Will keep a wheelbarrow of dirt in barn under tarp, ready to repot tree when we move it out. Probably add some sort of plant food to mix at that time.

I have had success moving smaller yews around the yard, but generally in the spring or fall. I've read about "living Christmas trees" and always wanted to try it. I have to move this tree anyway, so this seems like it is worth a shot. I might save the $80 I'd pay for the usual cut tree. I figure even a dead tree may result in a good story down the road. What do you think? Do I have a chance? Any tips? Advice? Am I nuts?

Comments (30)