SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danralph_gw

Tree Growth No Figs - Is it because of lack of Pruning. With Pic

danralph
15 years ago

Hello, Thanks again for all the great advice.

I have a question on a tree that has not been producing figs.

I got rooted cuttings of the below tree back in 2003. It has died back to the roots or the near ground buds in 03/04/05/06 but finally in 2007 and 2008 I was able to get buds on the top of the branches to make it through the winter and the tree has grown to about 7 feet high and grows rapidly, producing many shoots. This year, I thought was its year. I noticed a large number of figs for the 1st crop. But with the colder NJ spring, those little things never made it. One to three figs made it with only one making it to maturity. Its second crop consisted of one fig. It was delicious but only 1 fig.

I am curious if my poor pruning is the reason I got no figs off this tree. The tree is very healthy, gets a lot of sun is well fertilized and generally gets treated well. The source of the cuttings produces tons of figs, two crops but in Northern NJ. A cutting of my tree, I took last year developed well and produced 3 figs. So it seems the tree should be productive.

Also, I have 4 other trees, all potted that have one trunk that produced a lot of figs.

Any advice would be appreciated. I want to cut this tree back and give it another year, or it is heaped to the compost pile and I will find another.

Couple of pictures of the tree.

Thanks

Comments (4)