SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hedgwytch

need ideas for narrow strip between houses

hedgwytch
17 years ago

I've got a narrow long side yard about 8ft wide and 15 ft long on the south side of my house. I'm getting ready to do lasagna gardening on this area, so I can start preparing the soil. The exterior of my house is native stone, and has a wooden privacy fence all along the side, and right at the back. There is only one window here, and it is my dd's, fairly high up. At the entrance, I've got a metal arbor with red seedless grapes growing up the side closest to the fence, and then in the gap to the left of the arbor, I'm planning on putting a lilac tree.

I need to figure out what I should plant in the area itself, and how to lay out the beds. I am thinking of a "Secret Garden" style area. DD has requested irises and roses. I thought about a climbing rose around her window. I don't have anything planted back there now. My neighbor is nice and won't mind anything on the fence-especially if it's fragrant and not too invasive!

I would appreciate any ideas y'all might have! Oh! I also need path ideas...materials, designs, etc.

Thanks so much!

HW

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!