SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivan_turbinca8178679

Alnus glutinosa Imperialis on a narrow strip between driveways

Ivan Turbinca
7 years ago

Hi guys

I first saw this tree in the Burlington/Hamilton Royal Botanical Garden, the arboretum section and we liked its look a lot. This one was probably a young tree, 5-6 years I guess.

I need some photos of this tree, I would like to see how fast it grows and what it looks like at different ages.
The other thing that I would like to know is if this tree can be controlled and trimmed (I would like to see some pictures as well) :
-since I am planning to plant it between two driveways on a strip that is around 9 feet wide ( I would like to block the hideous view of this utility pole ) and since this tree has a 30 feet wide canopy at maturity (50 years) I was wondering if there is any way to trim it to fit in that narrow space. I am sure that for the first 10 years it will look great but what happens after that?

-this tree is a fast grower and it reaches about 50 feet at maturity. Is there any way to hold it back when it reaches a certain height ? Would less watering impact the growth rate ?

Comments (8)

• Ivan Turbinca
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm It seems that it can be done , look at these two lniks
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=alder+site%3Awww.nodiggardener.co.uk&oq=alder+site%3Awww.nodiggardener.co.uk&aqs=chrome..69i57.6775j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Pruning a cut-leaf alder

The cut leaf alder at the bottom of my garden is getting very heavy and is causing dense shade. Many branches threaten to make large limbs in unsuitable directions

I have cut a lot of wood away but have retained the height of the alder

• edlincoln
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This reflects a common misconception. The canopy width matters a lot more when the tree is small then when it is large. A small tree has has a canopy low enough to get in the way of people and cars. A tall tree has a canopy well above car height. You actually WANT a tall tree to have branches that extend above the driveway. It will shade it in the summer and prevent it from heating up. Only issue is the power lines...is the tree far enough from those power lines?

Not familiar with this particular tree. Most deciduous trees can be trimmed to keep them small (think bonsai) but it is an ENORMOUS amount of work and can make the tree look goofy.

Check to see if this species is considered an invasive species in your state...it is in some parts of the US

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

no tree under power lines .. ken

• PRO
    Caldwell Home & Garden
    7 years ago

I wouldn't plant anything like that near a power line. I would plant something of relatively low value, something you won't care about if it gets cut up. Maybe you could pollard an acer plantanoides?

• edlincoln
    7 years ago

Are you planting it under the power lines? If not, how close? Not completely clear on that.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago

You don't want a tree-sized alder on any site where there are space or moisture restrictions, or where if it broke off or fell over it would get in the way or could hit something. These are fast-growing, short-lived birch family trees which like them are damaged by much pruning.

An 'Imperialis' in Ontario, Canada was 40 ft. tall in 1975. Another, in Spokane was 36 ft. tall in 1992. One in Seattle was 40 ft. tall when cut down in 2005; a second Seattle example was 47 ft. tall when measured during or about the same year.

• edlincoln
    7 years ago

You could plant Speckled alder. It's not as ornamental but it is native and much smaller.

Speckled Alder under power lines