SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

This has been the worst summer.......

gardengranny2
13 years ago

for gardening, that is. As temps here in central CT have been consistently higher than normal (high 90's and some days over 100) with little to no rain.

I have only gone out in the early morning hours since the 1st week of July. It's been too darn hot to do anything outside. Never have I been so greatful for central air. One day it was 112 in my neck of the woods (when the electric bill came DH said it was worth every penny).

Roses did not flower due to the heat. Daylilies melted as soon as they opened. Spirea never did bloom. Hydrangeas browned on July 7th. Shasta daisies fried to a black crisp. These look awful, but they are alive. Palace purple heucheras are dead dead dead. All in all, a total gardening disappointment.

Needless to say, my beds and my lawn are disaster areas (large segments of dead grass). All will require major work to bring them back to their previous glory.

DH took a vacation week, and the plan was to renovate the lawn this week as temps have seemingly returned to 'normal' for several days. However, while Saturday is expected to be in the high 70's, Sunday brings the return of 90's and expected to continue thru the week.

My property is in full sun. 90's for everybody else means 100+ for us.

You just can't labor in that kind of heat, and the lawn should have been done 2 weeks ago allowing time for it to develop before the first frost (late Oct early Nov).

I hope to start putting things to bed for the season and hope for a return to more 'normal' weather conditions next summer. Because that's what gardeners do!

Liz

Comments (17)

Sponsored