SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

focal point sun garden

louisianagal
14 years ago

Hi all, I have an 18 ft diameter circle garden that is a focal point in my back yard. In the very center is a sundial about 3 ft high, sentimental, as it was a gift from my son, and salvaged from the wreckage of Hurricane Katrina. So I want to keep that there. I have used that circle for 2 seasons as a wildflower garden, with some success, however the garden just does not look good for a long period of time, and one wildflower has sort of bullied out the others. So...I am thinking of changing to a perennial easy-care sun garden. I've read the favorite long-blooming perennial thread which was of course very helpful. I want something not too tall becoz I have gardens behind it on a little ridge, and I have the sundial, although I guess I could raise the sundial on blocks if needed (w/i reason).

What I am thinking is 2 or 3 types of plants, here are some choices: KO roses (I love red), lantana (yellow??), daylillies (am thinking Stella or Happy Returns - my stellas do not bloom very long), dwarf crape myrtles (never tried them before), possibly herbs and/or cosmos at the edges (the ones I have don't get too tall). I think I would put daffodil bulbs in for early spring bloom and the emerging perennials would cover the dying bulb foliage. The soil is good, predominant clay but no real problem with that, and full sun for sure.

what are your thoughts? and Thanks.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH