SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avidchamp

Oklahoma Brown Turkey Fig

avidchamp
16 years ago

A couple of days ago, I found this monster fig hiding in my Brown Turkey fig bush. The tree/bush is loaded as usual this time of year and they start ripening about mid September each year. We only manage to get about a dozen ripe ones before cold knocks the leaves off and then it freezes back to the ground for it to all start over next Spring. Normally, the figs that do ripen are about golf ball size, but this one is the largest ever and is like a small Orange in size. I tried the little food scale and it only showed about 2-1/2 OZ, but I am sure that it weighed more than that when first picked. It is slated for breakfast tomorrow morning. This year I will be trying to figure a way to cover it after the first several frosts with maybe a light bulb under the cover to see if we can get some growth from this year's shoots. They are about 6 feet tall and there must be at least 30 of them coming from the ground. They normally get slightly larger than thumb size.

I have been monitoring posts about wintering the figs and I would appreciate any comments from others as to how they winter theirs. I am located in mid Oklahoma, USA which is just about the geographical center of the US.

Thanks, Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Oklahoma Brown Turkey Figs

Comments (20)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio