SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

strange bird behaviour at the feeder

ianna
13 years ago

Like any wildlife lover, I have 2 bird feeders in the backyard. The feeders are cheap types - plastic tubes with plastic perches crisscrossed in several places through the tubes. This afternoon I discoverd the perches were cut off clean so that all which remains of it are those stuck in the tubes. On close inspection of the cut off pieces, it looks like a bird or birds nipped off the perches -- but why? I don't know where to post this question or which website to consult over this rather odd behaviour. I provide food for finches - but the feeders have been visited by black birds and by a small woodpecker. I can't imagine those finches capable of cutting hard plastic perches in half and think it's the black birds. These are not the work of a naughty squirrel either because squirrels have damaged my feeders before and I've taken steps to prevent repeat.

So any thoughts ideas where I can post the question. I must say I am rather amused and yet perplexed. Now the birds cannot eat the seeds - not even the black birds.

Comments (10)

Sponsored