SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Do you know how many daylilies I have?

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Actually I wasn't sure until I just counted them.

I have been buying and planting since 2007. In all that time I never actually added up the number of daylilies I have here. It wouldn't have worked anyway as I buy some and I dig some out but I only dig out afew and bought alot. Plus I do have multiples of quite afew where I have rows or mimi rows. In that case I only counted it once although there might be lots of clumps. So today I went around and counted them.

I should have done this earlier in the year as most of the beds its hard to tell what fans are coming from what clump so difficult to count the clumps. So I know I missed some but the count might be slightly under but its not over.

TA DA- drum roll please- its 600 daylilies. Considering I have a normal sized suburban lot and many other plants here besides daylilies (plus the multiples of the same one) it's an astounding number.

So its been years of adding and adding. The daylilies are really getting ahead of me. I even put in a new daylily section up in my used to be veggie garden.

Here is a picture of where I am working on that. Ignore the weeds in the middle. The weeds is what my entire yard would look like if I didn't mulch everything heavily. I am planning on putting iris beds in that middle part.

I have come upon a conclusion. I liked the daylilies better when they were some of the beds were thinner (clumps not as big or as close together). I liked planting annuals in between them in that bed at the end of the veggie garden when they were new and needed filling in. Now you couldn't fit anything in between if you tried.

So I am done. Just like I am done with the roses. Do I buy new roses even though I am done? Heck yes, but something else has to move or I full in a bare spot. No bare spots to fill in with the daylilies. But I don't add new rose areas and I am thru adding daylilies beds and daylily areas.

Now some of the daylily beds and daylily areas just really belong in those daylilies. Nothing else would have worked as well. Like the plateau in the back, the ones along the driveway, the ones on that driveway steep slope. But the terraces garden I have by my kitchen door I liked better when it was mixed daylilies and annuals, the same with that bed upstairs were I have all my Korth daylilies. I need to figgure out a way to move some out but there is no were to move them too.

So instead of adding daylilies like I have been doing for years next year I should reduce the number of daylilies here. Now unlike floota (Julie C) I don't have numbers in mind but areas were I want a different look. I am going to have to give this lots of thought. I will start by marking the duds this bloom season. Surely I will not miss those duds once they are out of the garden.

Comments (17)