SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Zonal denial- best method to overwinter first few years?

dirtslinger2
11 years ago

Having now killed 3 Sequoias due likely to cold winter winds dessication, this year I would like to successfully overwinter several. My hope is if I can get them to survive a few winters they 'may' toughen up a bit from their scrawny nursery selves.

There is one that I periodically visit a full zone lower from me that is now about 40' tall and survives with very little damage. Temps hovered around -25-30C for 3 weeks five years ago and it was perfectly fine. Chances are the wind isn't quite as bad, but it does get incredibly cold and it is out in the open.

This year I planted in spring rather than fall which should be of benefit (natural hardening off in the summer heat, and fall frosts- after rooting out since April.

Any suggestions? My thought was to make a small teepee over each tree with bamboo stakes, then wrap with burlap. I am afraid stuffing with leaves/hay would attract mice that would chew them up.

Would plastic be helpful? I don't like the idea of plastic however wind needs to be addressed somehow.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (13)