SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubenmctabe

Choosing overwintering method for Sarracenia Purp

10 years ago

Behold my Northern Pitcher plant, outgrowing its fishbowl. It was so tiny a few months ago!

In about 2 weeks the nights in Montreal will be freezing, so I need a plan. Been doing some reading, but need some help. I bought this from an indigenous plant supplier, so while I'm not up on my subspecies lingo, I know this is the type that grows wild in our cold cold cold province.

Here's my understanding, please correct and advise:

1. Overwintering outdoors would be fine, IF IT WERE IN THE GROUND. I could:
- sink the fishbowl in my veggie garden. It might crack (acceptable loss) but I wonder if the zero drainage situation could be a problem when the snow melts in spring, even for a bog plant.
- repot it in a standard plastic pot and sink THAT in the ground. But, I read somewhere that it's actually a crummy time to repot.
- stick it in the ground with no pot, though I prefer to keep a grab-and-dash option available for my best plants (rental apartment) and I'm gonna want it back on my balcony in spring anyway.

2. Put it in the fridge. Weird! Do I really have to pull it out of the bowl and put it in a bag, or could I just stick the whole thing in there as-is? And when folks say "add a little anti-fungus stuff", what do they mean? A little sprinkle of cinnamon or some mad chemical bomb?

3. Put it by window in the stairwell and hope the neighbours don't get creeped out by it. The stairwell is not heated directly. Very sunny window, a bit drafty. This option would require building a shelf. Risk of landlord veto.

4. Hide it in the broom closet in aformentioned chilly stairwell. That's not going to work, right? I THINK the deal for indoor overwintering is "kinda cold but bright" or "darn cold and dark".

Thanks for reading.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting