SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

'ATREANO'...Brebas and Main-Crop at same time?

16 years ago

Is it possible, is it likely, to have both brebas, and main-crop figs, ripening at the same time ???????

This past July, I purchased three, 6 FT. trees. At the time of purchase each tree had already set a nice crop of figs. Now, all three trees are ripening fruit, and unless I'm very wrong, two of the trees are ripening figs both on last years' wood, in addition to main-crop figs on current wood !!! I'm new at growing figs, but thanks to Herman2, - and a few others - I now know how to identify a breba from a main-crop fig. However, is it possible that these figs aren't brebas? One of these figs is enormous! ... it's a full 2-1/2" in diameter, excluding the short, neck-section! It was growing from old, bare, wood and had no leaf growing under, above, or, near it. It was growing about 12" back from the terminal-end of the branch. I had to pick it this morning because it looked like it was going to rip-off at the neck, and drop to the ground. So instead, I dropped it into my mouth. It was delicious and sweet. Some figs, - on another of my trees - are also growing the same way, i.e. on old wood. This tree also has a big crop of figs growing from the leaf nodes on this years' wood, and these figs, too, are starting to ripen. This means that on two of my trees, I'm ripening two types of figs, both breba and main-crop. I wish I knew how to include pictures with this posting so I could show you just what I'm trying to describe.

Am I delusional ... non compos mentis, or, what?

Herman2, et al: ... What's going on with these trees? What kind of figs am I seeing? Anybody out there have similar experiences.

FYI: ... "ATREANO" has been a winner in my book! Even with my limited fig-growing experience, I can tell that this variety will perform to all my expectations. The catalog descriptions for this variety were actually right for once! It's a vigorous grower, it bears young, sets a heavy main-crop, it ripens figs at the end of August, and, the figs have a very sweet, jammy flavor. No "rubber-glove" taste here! What else could I ask for? Oh yeah, get this ... not one bird has even touched any of the dozens of golden-green figs! They fly right by my trees. Have they been fooled? The skin is very tender and I've seen no splitting or souring ... but the summer here has been very dry and hot, as figs began to swell and ripen.

I'll grow this variety for a few years to see how it performs. But, so far, so good.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County