SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

What's your best seller/most profitable crop?

2ajsmama
11 years ago

I just spent a lot of time going through my records, and while they aren't perfect (at the end of the season I was just writing "tomatoes" and not the variety, though it was probably my volunteers at that time given the price and presence of LB), I did gain some surprising insights into what I made money on and what I didn't:

Berries: Terrible year for blackberries (all dried up), only sold 2 pints! I didn't have blueberries for 2nd year in a row, but sold 13 pints of my great-uncle's, I made $11 (not worth the picking and packing but I was trying to help him out - gave him $36 for 18 pints, the other 7 went into my freezer since they were too soft to sell fresh).

I'm not giving up on berries (just planted more last year), I know it was due to weather.

Also a really bad year for peppers - they just never really took off, I'm not sure if it was too dry or the new bed or both. But peppers don't sell well here unless they're the big bells, and I've never had luck growing those. I did start 10 seeds, plus 20 of a Corni di Toro/Sweet Banana mix, and 10 of some another GW member told me were Ancient Sweets, plus 20 jals, 10 serrano, 10 cayenne, and 10 Aji Limon - we'll see how they do, they may end up being put into salsa or pickled for DH if they don't sell. I may not grow any peppers for market next year at all.

Cukes also didn't sell a lot, though when I had them they went. Depending on if DM is still in the area, I may not plant any for market at all this year, just a few for us. Little Leaf was supposed to be resistant but still succumbed. Bush Champion did a little better and sold well (as I recall, I didn't keep really detailed records) in 2011. I only had a few (3?) zucchini plants and a couple yellow (crookneck and straight) this year, I'll never grow crooks again (mislabeled start), while the zukes held on throughout the DM infection, and people eagerly bought the "baseball bat" size at $1/lb for bread, stuffing, grilling, I just don't think it's worth the space they take up. I like zukes and DH likes straights so I'll just plant a couple of each again for us, take excess to market but it's not something I would plant as a money crop. Too many people have them (or their neighbors do) in their own gardens.

I didn't think lettuce/salad greens did all that well, I only sold in June, it was getting bitter in July and a 2nd planting didn't take, but that was actually a pretty good money-maker for me. Again, I didn't keep detailed records on how much I paid for the starts I bought (I do know that most of the $25 was for herbs that FAILED), but it's encouraging enough that I'm going to try starting my own and transplanting this year, since direct-seeding didn't work. I'm also trying tatsoi, maruba santoh, and mustard greens this year - if the mustard greens don't sell I'll let them go to seed so I can use it for dill pickles (mustard seed is so $$ in grocery store!). Salad Bowl sold better than romaine, and mixed greens sold the best ($2 for a quart bag).

Potatoes were the big surprise - they brought in more than the greens, I had new potatoes in July when I was in-between crops (and could have them earlier if I plant them earlier this year, I didn't get out there til Mother's Day last year). Yukon Gold and Red Norland produced more and I think were more appealing than Red Pontiac, though I sold all 3 kinds for $3/lb or $4/pint. They're a lot of work, but seed potatoes are cheap, so if I can prep a new space for them (LB got those last year too so I don't want to plant in same beds) I may just do it again. Not many vendors have new potatoes at market, and the one(s) who did had spuds that were all scarred from being mechanically dug, and just didn't look as clean and fresh as mine (lots of work washing), they sold for less but people still bought mine, didn't usually go home with (m)any, I think in the right market I could sell out. I just don't know if I can grow enough for wholesale (while still hand-digging and washing), and of course would have to charge less.

Edamame sold out - I only had 5 pints as an experiment (I frozen some for us too) but I am planting all my seed this year since I easily got $3/pint for it.

Green beans were a surprise - again, didn't take much to market but they sold out when I had them, started at $1.50/lb and then went to $2, I may be able to get more. Just have to plant them in raised beds to make for easier picking.

No surprise here - tomatoes were my biggest seller, esp. Brandywine and cherry. Got $4/lb (some customers complained, but still bought) for the BW and $3/pint (which comes out to $4/lb) for cherries. I'm going with Super Sweet 100 this year - I think the Gardener's Delight reverted to currant-size last year, so I didn't order more seed this year, though I still have a little left from 2011 order I may try just to see if the same thing happens.

Black Krim didn't sell as well though those people who bought and tasted it (I don't have license for samples) usually came back. I'm growing some (ordered seed) just b/c I like it and I'd like to have variety. Same with Cherokee Purple.

The Bloody Butcher and Glacier "early" tomatoes weren't that early, I only charged $3/lb for them and didn't sell as many (I think a lot went to chickens/compost). I'm trying Cosmonaut Volkov instead this year as an "early" but I don't know that it's really going to be any earlier than the heirlooms.

Also ordered "Mark Twain", "Rutgers", and "Grandma Mary's Paste" to try this year.

Comments (30)

Sponsored