SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

1st deer rubbing

10 years ago

Luckily it was one of my green giants and not something else.... but it took it down to the ground.

My question are for those who have very large collections and I know this will vary. But how often has this happened to you and is this something I can expect regularly? Did you do anything to stop it or did you just keep planting? I'm now pushing about 200 conifers... probably around 250 after next spring. So I don't want to keep cages around them every day of the year for the next 5-6 years. That would not only look bad, it would make watering and mulching a pain. Plus the initial cost{{gwi:807}} of the cages.

I've been collecting now for 3 years and this is the first one. I'm not sure if I'll get more now as the conifers get taller or if this is something that will just happen every so often.

Luckily most of my conifers are under 1' tall. So I may not have to worry about them for another 3-4 years. But still, in 3-4 years I should have close to 300-400... so you can imagine that putting up cages would not be an option. Right now my green giants are 4-5' tall. I have yet to see a deer with antlers in the 5 years I've been living here, I'm hoping it was just one that was passing through.

Thanks!

This post was edited by ricksample on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 18:49

Comments (36)