SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Fall planting

sierra_z2b
17 years ago

Okay so how is everyone doing with their fall planting?

I planted about 100 bulbs today which consisted of

Ancilla tulip

Kaufmanniana Waterlily tulips

turkenstanica MB tulips

Chionodoxa forbesii

Puschkinia libanotica

Romance SN Crocus

Dasystemon tarda MB tulip

and the bag of hyacinthus.

The Parkland perennial order was planted when it arrived last week.

I still have a lot of planting to do. Its still cloudy but at least its not raining today. Yay! LOL!

Sierra

Comments (57)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Gil, if I lived near you, I would be over in a second to help you. Mature trees, I can just see all the piles of wonderful fall leaves your going to have. DonÂt throw them away, start a compost pile or make black gold out of them. Did the old owners of the house leave you a lot of plants? I canÂt wait to see your photos of your new gardens next season.

Daffodils are so so hardy in our zones, the only kind that are hardy for me are 'King Alfred' and in my opinion the prettiest ones out there.

With my nifty auger, I had 100 tulips and 100 Alliums bulbs planted in less than an hour ;)

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well we got the 6 loads of compost and yesterday I was still able to move enough to plant another 100 bulbs.

Only two loads of the compost have been spread on the gardens.....there is still a huge mountain at the top of the driveway to be spread. LOL. Its raining again today...maybe it will stop by this evening...hoping so anyway....although the forcast is calling for rain all week.

Sierra

• Related Discussions

Where can I buy Chandler Strawberry plants for fall planting?

Q

Comments (1)
    I know this is not best answer but my chandler came from canada in september when I was in zone 8 Georgia. They where ordered in April only time they acept orders they came bearroot just before frooze up there. The truck would deliver to large nursuerys as come south and to pick own farmers was there drop off points if can get to a sourse like this they be perfect plants. There a lot reading about growing strawberry at web name sweetberryfarms . com
    ...See More

TN Fall Plant Swap - Is there a fall AL one?

Q

Comments (30)
    Sorry I haven't been posting but my poor little webtv won't let me on so I have to go offsite to login.Any weekend is good for me.there's plenty of parking at my place-2 acres :O).I've already started potting things but haven't updated my page yet.As for food around here the best is The Ark! Best shrimp & catfish there is.People come from all to eat there & it isn't expensive.There is also a chinese buffet,The Shack barbeque,a mexican place & several others to choose from.Anyone want more info just email me directly as that is easier for me.Hope we have a good turnout this fall.I have lots to get rid of-from tropicals to hardy to water plants! Jan
    ...See More

Shallots-Fall Planting vs Spring Planting

Q

Comments (15)
    I planted shallots purchased at the feed store last fall.I got huge tops which bloomed but never died down.Finally ,I cut back all the tops in the spring, hoping the bulbs would finally get the message & mature to be harvested.Nope. Since then, I have a whole new crop of green shoots from multiple little unmatured bulbs. They just won't quit. People here use "onion tops" from shallots to sprinkle on gumbo & most everything else. Do I have a mutant Cajun shallot that never matures/develops a papery skin or am I missing something? I've grown onions before, so maybe I'm expecting onion type behavior from shallots.Don't stores sell mature shallot bulbs, though?? The original bulbs I purchased looked like that. I think...
    ...See More

Tower Hill Fall: Gardener's Emporium and Fall Plant Sale

Q

Comments (1)
    Whoops, forgot the particulars. Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:00 AM-3:00 PM
    ...See More
  • marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Today both the Botanus and the McFayden order came in. Everything's in the ground except for the 'Lemon Lime' amaryllis from McFayden.

Here's what i've gotten so far:
    2 Dwarf Bearded Iris 'Little Annie'
    5 Fringed tulip 'Starfighter'
    5 Allium christophii (rated zone 5 - fingers crossed! I planted them a little deeper. Maybe i should go outside and do an allium dance!)
    10 Chionodoxa forbesii 'Pink Giant'
    10 Puschkinia 'alba'
    10 Snow crocus 'Romance' (freebie)
    10 Puschkinia libanotica (freebie)
    3 hostas - 'Frances Williams', 'Royal Standard' and 'Francee'.

Still waiting on Breck's, Vesey's, Dominion Seed House and the Lily Nook.

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Marcia, please grow your 'Little Annie' SDB iris in the house for the winter. It is too late to plant 'her' outside now.

I also got her this year but she was planted in the end of July in a pot and then when her roots were established I planted her into the landscaping a few weeks ago.

Brenda

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Yeah! I got my new rose bed dug and all my babies planted in it last night. The worst thing about gardening in the fall... is it gets dark so fast. Mom came over to help me and I was like "Mom, I don't care what the dog's doing, just keep digging, it's getting dark." LOL. So far the bed contains the 13 rose bushes I brought with me, and 3 clumps of Alyssum saxatile. I think I will put most or all of my lilies in it too. Nice having all this space, my roses aren't even cramped like they used to be. Think I shall have to buy more ;0)

Sharon you are a doll, I know you would help me. I will be using my fall leaves for winter protecting the roses, plus I think I will buy a flax bale for this winter since everything got planted so late. There are lots of deciduous trees but mostly it is 6 very large blue spruce that make shade in my garden. The PO's did leave a lot of plants... some of them desirable. There are some sedums, one is Autumn Joy and the other is something purple. There is a big patch of variegated goutweed but it is isolated. And a big patch of Solomon's Seal and Lily of the Valley. But there are several peonies and delphs and lilies and daylilies and and and... can't wait for spring to see what's all there. LOL. Must find the camera...

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Oh Gillian, you're gonna have such a great time this spring seeing all the new plants that you have! And you'll just have to go rose shopping to fill in the extra spaces too. Such fun!

Marcia, I believe I have Allium christophii, so don't be intimidated by the zone. Mine's not planted anywhere near the house either. Btw, allium 'Ivory Queen' is listed as zone 5 too, but they're tougher than that.

17 years ago

Hmm, i guess i'll have to dig up the iris now and bring her in. The planting guide just said to mulch well for the winter, which i would do anyway. I just read on another forum that July is the best time to dig up irises. Is that true? I should have been dividing 'Rhein Nixe' then instead of now?

Laurie, the 'Ivory Queen' you sent disappeared not long after i planted them, but i'm hoping they're just lurking underground. :)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Marcia, summer's better for fussy irises but you can't kill Rhein Nixe so don't worry about that!! I have divided it at all different times of the year and it may sulk but it will always survive. I'm glad Mom let me plant my Chapman iris order at her house this summer, they have already grown there and look great so I will move them next year. She even watered them which is more than they would have got from me.

• fernsk
    17 years ago

Hi all,

I managed to plant my 4 new rose bushes in the new lasagna bed before the rain came 2 weeks ago [phew]. I'm hoping that they will be okay but I got them on super sale 2 for $10.00 so I won't really be out any money if they don't overwinter. Prairie Joy, Lambert Closse and my beautiful rich almost fushia mystery rose are together with J.P. Connell across from them. The Lambert Closse and the mystery rose are both still full of beautiful blooms - I've been taking them to friends for birthdays this past weekend. I already had some lupins [blooming for a second time], miniature delphiniums and a few hens & chicks at the edge of this bed and think I will plan on including annuals next spring to see how the roses do and how much space they will need - ah heck I will likely put in some more miniature delphiniums - I really love them.

The really neat thing about gardening is that even while you are feeling sad about the season ending - you can anticipate spending time planning over the winter

Fern

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

"The really neat thing about gardening is that even while you are feeling sad about the season ending - you can anticipate spending time planning over the winter"

Fern, how true your statement is! :^) Glad you got your roses in, and I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment out of them(JP is one of my favorites!)

Marcia, I'm sure those 'Ivory Queen' bulbs just went dormant for you, and they'll pop up next spring as happy as can be!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Marcia, I've planted shorter varieties of Iris's late and they've made it with a good covering of straw. They'll likely not bloom their first spring, but will the following year if you can wait that long.

Last year I even took a gamble and planted Iris germanica ÂCrimson Snow (Tall Bearded), only because the mail order company sent them around this time, and it came thru with a good covering of mulch. I would leave it, if it doesn't make it, most companies will credit you ;)
    Just make sure to keep records, when you rec'd it, when you planted it and invoice #.

Besides, I really think we're going to have another mild winter ;)

Sharon

17 years ago

Conflicting advice! LOL Oh well, i was on a roll this afternoon, so i dug it up already and planted it in a shallow terra cotta dish. Maybe i should have brought one in and left one out as an experiment. Too late! :)

The Breck's order came today, and i planted 20 French Lace tulips and 20 Lavender Mountain Lilies. No one's ever mentioned growing these before so i thought i'd give them a shot.

Had a look this evening at the list of my orders and what's left to come and i'm wondering where the heck i'm gonna plant all that...

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Marcia, I ordered 40 of the Lavender Mountain Lilies from Brecks as well. I recieved them today. I didn't get them into the groung yet, but planted my lilies from Valley K instead. Valley K sent me a free bulb too. I wasn't expecting that. Surprises are always nice.
    Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Shelley, which lilies did you get from Valley K?

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Brenda,I ordered from a few different places this year.
    Valley K-
    Regetta (3)
    Raspberry on whip (3)
    Aurora (3)
    Dot Com (3)
    Blackout (3)
    Heathers Promise--A $13.50 bulb but well worth it. It was huge and hardly fit in the bag. It was already split 3 ways so I divided it.

Parkland Perennials-
    Corianne (3)
    China (3)
    Baronesse (3)

I'm still waiting for orders from:
    The Lily Nook-
    Dimples (3)
    Electric Yellow (3)
    Olina (3)
    Strawberries and Cream (3)
    Monet (1)
    Venix (1)

SW Gardens
    Clarinet Sunburst (3) -the colorings sounds alot like Claret Sunburst
    Beaudicious (3)
    Kaleidoscope (1)

Lisa's Lilies
    Arrowwood (3)
    Red Carpet (1)
    Rosalinda (1)
    Gran Cru (1)
    Honeyqueen (1)

And I recieved quite a few bulbs of Orange Carpet from my friends mother. She swears by the Carpet series saying that the flowers last forever and the bulbs multiply well.
    And today I got my 10 mixed lily bulbs from Brecks. I hope that I get some nice ones in there. Also my dad ordered me some bulbs from a lady near by. She sells 15 bulbs for around $10. I'm hoping that I get some nice ones from her as well. She has them named and everything. I think that next year I should ask her for a list.

I think that I have to slow down for next year on my ordering of lilies. Unless I find something spectacular like Mystic Rose, or Comet Blast or other types of star burst lilies.
    If all goes well I can do some trading with these soon.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Shelley, keep me in mind for trading of lilies. (See my hand going up and waving!) I can always use some 'new' ones. This summer I put roundup on a large area that used to be a holding garden for perennials until someone gave me a perennial with some grass in it. Now, I am catching up on the grass and planting and mulching new perennials and shrubs back into the area. So, I figure I can use about another couple hundred different kinds of perennials in this area.

I will have to update my pictures and data base this winter and will make a list of lilies that I have that are large enough to split also. I will email you separately with that.

Yesterday McFayden's had their first day of their fall sale. So I bought...

allium christophii, reg. $7.95 on sale $2.00 bought 2 pkgs of 3 bulbs each. These allium are 16" in height but apparently have 8" pink flowerheads on them.

allium caeruleum, reg. $7.95 on sale $3.00 bought 1 pkg of 10 bulbs. I like this one, the blue flowerhead is small but it is quite striking in appearance.

tulip specia 'Little Princess', reg. $7.95 on sale for $2 bought one pkg of 10 bulbs.

Laurie and I met at McFaydens and split a package of 10 bulbs of Iris Reticulate 'Katharine Hodgkin' reg $9.95 on for $5.00.

one Iris, Mother Earth, reg. $7.95 on for $3.00.

one Iris, Well Endowed, reg. $7.95 on for $3.00.

one Iris, Spartan, reg. $9.95 on for $3.00.

one Iris, Beverly Sills, reg. $9.95 on for $3.00.

one Iris, Rock Star, reg. $9.95 on for $3.00.

I bought 5 Jiffy windowsill greenhouses 3" x 20" for 25 cents each. I planted up in them the irises I purchased late in the season and they fit along the window ledge in the sunroom just perfectly. One Jiffy greenhouse has in it the 5 new irises I bought yesterday. I will grow these inside for their first winter and plant them out in the spring.

The first 200 customers were to get a free package of tulips so Laurie and I each received a pkg of 5 'Blumex' parrot tulips (also known as 'Orange Rococo') I am excited about these. We had looked at these as we wandered around and I had not picked them up then and here we got them free at the till! They have petals in a rainbow colors and open up with bright orange streaks in them also. I will have to plant these close to the house/greenhouse where we walk past each day in the spring.

Brenda

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

From the amount of bulbs going in to everyone's gardens this fall, next spring is going to be spectacular!

Yes, Brenda and I had a really good shopping trip at McFayden's yesterday. Anybody who lives close to Brandon should go check out the sale, as they still had quite a few bulbs left. I know I was impressed with the variety.

Like Brenda mentioned we split a bag of Iris Reticulate 'Katharine Hodgkin', and I got my bonus of 'Blumex' parrot tulips, which are adorable.
    I also picked up:

-25 Striped Scilla for $2
    -10 'Little Beauty' tulips for $2
    -20 mixed Snow Crocus for $2
    -1 Bearded Iris 'Spartan' for $3

Along with 4 bags of Jiffy Quick Soil Mix for 50 cents. And 2 of the Stacking Windowsill Greenhouses for 25 cents.

Brenda also gave me some her Robinson's Comet bulblets and a couple of Centerfold lilies. AND my tulips came in from Breck's yesterday too. So I've got lots to plant today. Hopefully it'll warm up this afternoon, as it's only +1C right now. I'd really like to have everything planted up before Saturday, which is the local lily sale. I wonder how much planting I'll have after I come home from that! ;^)

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Laurie, did you see the forecast for Brandon for the weekend? Sunny and 17 on Saturday! Sunny and 20 on Sunday! Sunny and 15 on Monday! Wonderful weather to work outside!!!

Shelley, the little Centerfold lilies that Laurie is talking about are the ones that you sent me. Thanks for the little extras! I just had to share a few with Laurie and I think I also sent the smallest one (cause it was flat enough to go in the envelope) to Signet.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Brenda and Laurie, you really picked up some good deals at McFaydens. Lucky you.

Brenda, Centerfold looks like it will be a good multiplier. I only dug up one lily stalk. I'm glad you spead the bulbs around. The Purple Reign stalk had nothing else under it. That bulb had 7 or 8 flowers on this year, so maybe it put all of it's energy into flowers. Or maybe it is a slow multiplier and that could explain the high price for this lily bulb..???

I like your idea of planting up your iris's in the windowsill jiffy greenhouses. I ended up ordering some iris from Vesesys on Monday and I think that I will do the same when they come.

It is not nice at all here today. It is cold, windy and drizzling outside. Earlier this week the forecast looked great. So much for doing lots outside today. Oh well I have lots of ripe tomatoes and have 4 kettles cooking on the stove as I type.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Well, thanks Shelley for a little piece of your garden! I've often admired Centerfold, and was thrilled to get some.

I sure hope they're right about our forecast for the weekend Brenda. It's WAY too cold out there today :(

17 years ago

You'll love Centrefold, Laurie. I know i do. :)

My Dominion Seed House order came today but it wasn't getting planted in this cold miserable rain. I'll wait till Sunday when it's supposed to go up to 15°! Oh, and once again, they're listing me as zone 2 and telling me that the plants and bulbs aren't guaranteed because they aren't hardy here. Tell that to all the tulips, daffodils and scilla that come up every year in my garden. Sheesh.

Here are all the unhardy plants i ordered:
    Euphorbia polychroma 'Bonfire'
    Gaillardia 'Orange & Lemon'
    Hemerocallis 'Forty-Second Street'
    Double Late Tulips 'Uncle Tom'
    Fringed Tulips 'Blue Heron'
    Allium caeruleum
    Allium 'Lucy Ball'
    Scilla tubergyniana

I'll be emailing them this weekend. Maybe i should send pictures!

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

At 7:30 yesterday morning, after I dropped my DH off at a friend's place for a weekend fishing trip, I stopped by Home Depot. That morning they just put out a sign 75% off all outdoor plants...so I took a look. These are the purchases I made...

{{gwi:775858}}

{{gwi:775861}}

4 clematis...$2.50 - 75% = $.63 each They are unnamed but healthy, two are group C and two are from group B. I planted them out last night 2 per trellis. So I planted a C & B on each trellis. IF they make it through the winter and bloom I will be needing some help in identifying them next year.

Bergenia 'Winterglut'...$6.97 - 75% = $1.74 each. Planted them last night behind the clematis.

2 tender roses (that I transplanted both into one 12" round planter for in the sunroom for winter) were both miniature roses...Janna and Tootie. Janna is a white with a pink edge and Tootie is a pink. Both were $8 - 75% = $2 each.

2 packs of 3 each zonal hot pink geraniums ($4.00 - 75% = $1 per pack). All 6 plants I transplanted into one oval container to put in the sunroom for the winter. They will be placed in my oak barrels next year.

2 El Camino fushias ($2 - 75% = $.50 each) I transplanted into one container and placed in the sunroom also. Note in the bottom picture the fushia flower in the center...it must be about 3.5" across...huge!

3 pansy geraniums ($6.98 - 75% = $1.74 each) I planted into a single long oval container and hopefully they will bloom in the sunroom for the winter.

Yet to be planted...today's job...
    Blue Cadet hosta... (Viva container) ...$6.00 - 75% = $1.50
    Langtree Brunnera... 2 @ $7.00 - 75% = $1.75 each
    Hadspen Blue hosta ... (Viva container) ...$6.00 - 75% = $1.50
    Blue Angel hosta... $7.00 - 75% = $1.75
    Krosse Regal hosta ... $7.00 - 75% = $1.75
    2 coleus to be planted in one container for the winter in the sunroom...$2 - 75% = $.50 each...
    -'Needlepoint' stained glass
    -'Dipt in Wine'
    Tropicanna Canna ($12.97 - 75% = $3.24) needs to get a frost and then I can cut it down and put it in the cold storage for winter.

So, for all 24 plants I paid $36.67 after taxes. The two shopping carts I used were full.

To all other FN's, is Home Depot in your city also having a clearance this weekend??

Brenda

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

DAMN....by the time I'd get to Brandon, Brenda and Laurie will have bought all the good stuff!! ;-P
    Another reason I wish we had a "REAL" hardware store here....sigh....

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I was in Saskatoon yesterday to pick up my daughter. (The hairdresser, and yes my hair is already coloured and cut) I decided not to put in any more tulips this year, but 20 Toronto, 20 Candy Club, 20 Dasystemon Tarda and 10 lilyflowering Maytime followed me home. The prices were not overly bad, $5 or 6 for a bag of 10. The bulbs of the Dasystemon Tarda are 3 times the size of the ones that I recieved from Botanus. Hopefully this means more blooms.

Lily Nooks order came as well yesterday. I was up early before everyone else, so I got my lilies in the ground. The tulips will have to wait until tomorrow or Monday. We are off to my mothers this afternoon. She's leaving for Kelowna on Monday for six months.
    Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Shelley, don't ya just hate when bulbs follow you home expecting that you'll plant them?LOL

This morning from the lily sale, these lilies followed me home :0)

-'Amelita' martagon lily
    -A white seedling martagon lily
    -'Kentucky' LA lily
    -'Strawberries & Cream' LA lily

Also, from Home Depot I picked up Hosta Undulata 'Mediovariegata' for $1.75 and Carex 'Frosted Curls' for $2.50. I'm a bit disappointed about the carex, as the tag said it was hardy to zone 4. But when I did a search, it came up as a zone 6 or 7, so I guess I just bought another houseplant.

I've gotten everything planted out already, except for the carex.........will have to search for a nice pot for that one.

Michele don't worry, I left lots of stuff for ya!!

Laurie

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Marcia, maybe you should provoke Dominion Seed House to come and visit us here at the fN forum ;)
    I won't be ordering live plants from them any more. I still have a credit from the dead plants they sent last spring, I'll use it on seeds and that's it.

Today is so gorgeous, 21°C, did alot of seed collecting and raking leaves.

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Shelley, I bought 2 of the same lilies you got this fall. I picked up Dot Com and Strawberries and Cream at the Manitoba Lily Society fall lily bulb sale.

I also purchased 3 martagons today. I bought a white and a pink martagon seedling, both were developed by Murray Evans (so we were told), and I got Amelita. I now have 4 martagons. Do any of you FNers have any martagons and how are they doing for you?

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Laurie, I don't hate when things follow me home, but my pocket book does. I also bought some new house plants with the tulip bulbs. I thought it would give me inspiration to take better care of the half dead ones I already have. The poor things get so neglected in the summer.

Sharon, I too had terrible looking plants from Dominion Seed House. Quite a few didn't make it. I did let them know that I would never order live plants from them again. They had to have been sitting in the boxes for a while before shipping because on the live ones I had lots of white growth. But the dead ones didn't. LOL

Brenda, Dot Com and Strawberries and Cream look very similar in pictures. It should be interesting to see how similar the flowers are in person next summer.

The Lily Nook had Strawberries and Cream listed as an asiatic. I'll have to pay attention to the leaves next spring. I'm finding that my LA's have a little wider leaves than the asiatics.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Shelley, yes I did an 'oops' thinking that Strawberries & Cream was an LA. On the tag, it had (1a) after the name and at a quick glance, I thought it was lower case for LA. But now, after looking at their website, I realize that 1a stands for up-facing flowers.*blush*:0)

The pictures they had at the lily sale of Dot Com and Strawberries & Cream showed that the S & C has a paler petal colour than Dot Com. But the markings did look very similar to each other. I don't have Dot Com, so you and Brenda will have to post pictures of each to see how they compare next summer.

Laurie

17 years ago

Today i planted the DSH order. It was gorgeous out there! :) One thing i noticed about the live plants was that they hadn't been potted up very well. The root ball just seemed to be sitting on top of soil in each container. I hope i'm smart enough not to do this again!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Brenda, I grow a couple of Martagons, I have L. martagon planted in the fall Â04, although I had to move it out today from under the overgrown shrub since it wasn't get that much sun. I suspect I'll have to wait another 2 years for it to bloom.

I also planted ÂMrs. R.O. Backhouse last fall '05, that only produced a stem this spring. So just maybe I'll have blooms from this one next spring.

I recieved my Lilies from Valley K on the bus and all planted today, the bulbs are HUGE and healthy, I'm so happy with this company! She also threw in (3) baby Orienpet bulblets as a bonus ;)

I'm done with my Fall planting for 2006, still have lots of seed collecting, leave collecting, cutting back some perennials and mulching yet to do, that part is not over ;)

Still NO F**** here!

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Sharon, they told me that I shouldn't be surprised if the martagons that I plant this fall do not come up at all next year. So, with that, I was to mark them and keep track of where I plant them so that nothing else gets planted in the same spot. But...hopefully they do come up next year and bloom...but that may be pushing my luck though.

Brenda

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I know the martagon I planted this spring never appeared, so I have hopes for next year. Unfortunately, I lost track of the exact spot, so I hope it's still got room! I picked up some bulbs at Home Depot and Walmart on Friday, when I was in the city - DH was getting his pacemaker replaced, and will hopefully be home this week. I've got 25 assorted crocuses and 8 mixed Kaufmania tulips to go in with the goutweed at the edge of some gravel, 40 assorted pastel tulips, and a few pink daffodils. I'm hoping to get them in the ground this week/next weekend. That's all the planting I'm doing this fall.
    Connie

17 years ago

Sharon, that's amazing! Into October and no fr***! You're probably having a zone 5 summer too! LOL

Speaking of fr***, i guess it's getting to the point that it won't be a dirty word pretty soon. BUT, you can't say s*** until November at least! LOL (Here i go making rules!)

Connie, how will things do planted in goutweed? I just gave some iris tubers (Rhein Nixe) to a woman who said she was planning to plant them in an area with goutweed. I thought she should dig out the area first so that the irises would get a head start on the goutweed, which was sure to come back. What do you think? Anyone else?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I've tried peonies, iris, siberian iris and tulips in goutweed, and nothing thrives there, except of course, the goutweed. The one peony that was planted there about 5 years ago, I think has completely disappeared. I also have one 'Smouthii' peony in there that is about half the size of the other 'Smouthii' in a different bed. Oh, I have Virginia Creeper on one side of the goutweed bed, and it's doing alright, but I thought it'd be a lot bigger than it is after 6 years. :(

After my experience with goutweed, I'd only plant tough perennials that I really don't care if they survived or not in that bed.

It's hard to believe that we're into October already without a killing fr*** yet. If the forecasters are right, like Brenda says, and it goes down to -3 tonight, we'll have had 144 days of growing season this year. Not bad at all!!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

I haven't had frost yet either. Cmon gals, it's October, we can say it LOL.

At my new place there are several peonies growing in the goutweed. I don't know how many years they have been there or what variety they are but they look healthy. There's also a lot of something that has leaves that look like little oak leaves, but I don't know what it is. I posted a pic in the weekly thread. My goutweed is variegated, so maybe that makes it a little less aggressive. I'm embarassed to admit I actually quite like it, in a constrained patch under some big trees.

Marcia, if anything can elbow out goutweed it might be Rhein Nixe.

• prairierose
    17 years ago

The crocuses are an experiment. I planted the goutweed where it is to try and smother out the dandelions. The rest of the patch got plastic and gravel over top, so the goutweed should be semi-controlled. I like goutweed too, especially under trees where nothing much else grows. I just prune (and thin) with a shovel once or twice a year. I hoping the crocuses will be early enough that they'll have most of their growing done before the goutweed gets going. It always seems to take a while in the spring.
    Connie

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I would dig out at least a 24"-30" wide hole in the goutweed before planting anything in there. This would give the new plant one season to get established. I think the difference of my two peonies, is that the 'Smouthii' was planted on the one end of the goutweed bed that the goutweed took a few years to get into. Whereas the disapearing peony was planted into the already established patch of goutweed. This spring I also rescued a white siberian iris from this bed. I'd planted it at least 5 years ago, and it had only 2 leaves and was 4" tall. Now it's planted in a manure filled bed and has grown 10 times bigger now.

There's nothing like a good experiment Connie. The goutweed does take awhile to get growing in the spring, so hopefully the crocus will have lots of time to bloom before the goutweed gets growing. Good luck, and let us know how the crocus do for you.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

I spoke too soon, OK, IÂm going to say it, FROST, we had frost last night, I was kind of hoping for it soon to happen anyway, I want to dig up this dahlia so I can store it.

I won't say the "S" word yet ;) LOL

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

"I was kind of hoping for it soon to happen anyway"

Never thought I'd hear you say that Sharon!LOL Yes, it IS getting time already. It only went down to +1 here, so I'm still going to have to wait to dig everything up. Is it best to let frost hit the cannas and elephant ears before digging them up too? I would like to get going on those too already.

145 days and counting............

17 years ago

Testing - i couldn't reply to the graphic image post. >:(

Well, it looks like this one will go through. The other one wasn't important, just "Ho ho ho" in reply to Laurie's comment that we might get the image for Christmas. It said i had to supply a name, email address and subject. Weird.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

According to the weather page I always check with, it said we got done to -4.6°C. Only the tenders got the killing FROST, my Wave Petunias are still putting on a show. But, yes the dahlia got it good for sure, its leaves are all black, mushy and flat on the ground ;)

Laurie, I leave my cannas and elephant ears as is in pots and store them like that, I bring them in before frost hits them, check out the Overwintering Tenders Thread what I all brought in.

Sharon

17 years ago

More bulbs in the ground tonight! Six 'Angelique' tulips planted among a mix of pink daffodils, and in another spot, 6 Asiatic lilies (a mix from Vesey's fundraising). I'm still waiting on the Vesey's order and the Lily Nook.

You know the eternal question - "Where the heck am i gonna put all this stuff?" I said that again this afternoon while my sister-in-law was giving my fundraising bulbs and my crabby mother-in-law was standing there. I added, "It's a sickness!" and of course, mil had to agree! LOL She's the one who once asked if there was a month in the year that i didn't think about gardening. Uh, no. LOL I said it's a sickness!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

LOL! Some days I think I should be committed!!!!! :0/

Sharon, I just don't have the room to keep my elephant ears and cannas in pots, so the bulbs have to be dried and stored in bags. It's just every other year they've been hit by frost by now, so they were good and dormant. I just can't bring my self to chop off their heads while they're looking soooo good yet!

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"It's a sickness!"
    "Some days I think I should be committed!!!!! :0/ "

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhhhh tell me this as I was planting hundreds of tulips while I was so sick with a cold, I could hardly stand up. Oh ya.....and stand here looking at this mountain of compost that is sitting at the top of my driveway, that needs to be spread all over the gardens before the Sn*w flys. And I still have 100 tulips to plant.

Sierra who thinks this long weekend is going to be a busy one.

17 years ago

Sierra, it was me last year, planting all those daffodils and muscari with a bum knee! LOL

17 years ago

The Lily Nook order came in today. All planted! :)

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

My orders from Lisa's Lilies and SW Gardens came in today. I did manage to get them into the ground before dark. The days are so short now. I'm not liking it at all. It is a definate reminder that SNOW is soon on it's way. Hard to believe because it was 20 degrees out today. I want more days like this.
    Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Today's forecast of 24C is going to be wonderful. My DH is going to do the final cut of grass and I want to get all the rest of the fall bulbs planted and clean up more of the flowerbeds today.

Laurie, wait until we have a killing frost before you cut your canna(s) and dig and store for winter. The canna need to 'winterize' with a killing frost first. I just cut the canna stalks down to 3 or 4 inches, dig out the whole clump, trying to leave as much soil as I can on it and store in the "pit" where I keep my potatoes for the winter. The soil protects the roots from drying out in the winter.

Brenda (also waiting for a killing frost to kill my begonias, callas, cannas and glads so that I can get them all put away for the winter.)

17 years ago

Shelley - bad word! Not yet, please!!

Brenda, i stored my cannas similarly last year because i couldn't take them apart, but they were on the cool floor of the porch and they began to grow over the winter. I'm in the same predicament this year. They haven't been killed by frost (yes, okay, we can say that now!), but i can't even get them out of the container this year, let alone separate them! Maybe i'll try putting them where we store our potatoes and carrots - in the cool northeast corner of the minimally heated garage.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville