SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luv2gro

2006 Successes and Failures

luv2gro
17 years ago

We seem to do this thread a bit later in the year but I thought we could get it started earlier this year, while things are fresh in our minds and we see them during our fall cleanup.

I had a new annual that I did in pots this year and I really have to recommend to all that love fragrance. Zaluzianskya is a rather small and obscure plant with small, star shaped flowers. It bloomed very well and really looked nice as a filler for petunias. And the fragrance was wonderful. Definitely on my list for must haves every year. The common name is Night Phlox.

I'm excited that I got a bloom on my Buddleia davidii Butterfly Bush. This is something that I will be mulching well to try to overwinter. I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't bloom more (more coming if the weather holds) considering we had such a hot summer but a very nice plant with sage green foliage.

I think I'm with you, Marcia. I'm not thrilled with any of the verbascums that I have. The V. phoenicium seemed rather unimpressive, despite lots of blooms. And the V. 'Banana Custard' is very pretty but had a couple of disadvantages. It flopped something fierce and the blooms kept blowing off in the slightest breeze. Pretty, but I think the jury is still out on this one. I have a funny feeling that it may become a monster that I can't control.

I know I'll have more to add to this list, but I'll find them as I clean up. What were your new trials like?

Shauna

Comments (17)