SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

Fuse-grafting of fig tree trunks

effdeevee
16 years ago

This is my very first posting, so everyone just bear with me if my message rambles a bit. I am growing fig trees for the first time this year. I picked up two 6 foot tall trees at a nursery in Westbury, NY. The variety is "ATREANO" ... a fig that's supposed to do well in my zone and short growing season ... so I've read. Anyway, the trees - at the time of purchase- had already set a nice crop of figs ... about two dozen total, between the two. The trees are very healthy, and vigorous, but the figs are still green and very firm to the touch. I'm hoping that the weather - especially at night - doesn't get too cold for the figs to ripen properly. The fig trees will be over-wintered in an unheated garden shed from around Thanksgiving to about mid-May '08. Here's where I need some help. I want to plant the two trees in a large container, probably at least 25 gallons, and I want to tie or screw the two main trunks together so that in time, the two trunks will fuse as they increase in diameter. By doing this, my aim is to create a shorter, but thicker trunk supporting a good rack of fruiting branches. I will also take cuttings from the extra branch growth, root them, and also plant them right next to the original trunks. They will also, in time, fuse-graft to the original trunk, and I'll do this every growing season. The trunk(s) will continue to increase in diameter, while pruning, pinching, and training of the branches will keep everything as compact as possible. I will also train thin branches in the same way by twisting them together to make a thicker branch. This "composite trunk" will eventually start to take on the appearance of a Baobab tree ... short thick trunk with short branches. I want to train the "ATREANO" trees in this manner because I have a very small shed with limited storage space. I have no room for storing huge trees over the winter. Also, by using only one fig variety, genetically, all the trees will share the same growth characteristics, i.e. growing and ripening figs at the same time; same dormancy onset; and they will start growing in Spring at the same time. I got this idea of fusing trunks from a braided fig tree that I saw growing at the now defunct BELLECLARE NURSERY. Chris had plaited the trunks of 4 or 5 different varieties of figs, and planted this grouping of trees in one container. The trunks were fusing and "melting" together, forming one thick "composite" trunk. I think he had red, black, and white figs fusing together. Nice idea but genetically different varieties may bring problems because of differing growth characteristics ... so I'd like to try this training method, but only using one variety of fig tree. Has anyone out there tried this ? I see these braided tree trunks all the time at garden centers, Home Depot, etc.; so I know it can be done. Any comments and growing advise will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets