SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keesha2006

How do you beat the heat in the garden?

keesha2006
17 years ago

It has been in the low to high 90's for the last week here...normally I would be watering at least once a day and in some of my pots..twice...this year tho, I took an more aggressive approach and it seems to be working.

I always mulch...and it helps..but is not enough...this year I used Peat moss heavily..and wow..what a diff I noticed. The only downfall I can see..is light rains seem to almost bounce off..it takes a moderate to heavy rain to seep into the moss well..but it keeps the ground much cooler and damper than my mulch. And as a added benefit..easier to dig in. It does "dirty" up the bottom of my picket fence quite a bit..but I just hose it off or pretend I didn't see it...I guess all good things have a downside also..overall..I am a newfound fan of this kind of mulch. I also used in hanging pots with the same results.

The second thing I did, was bite the bullet and go back to plastic hanging baskets. I had all coconut fiber and iron frame hanging pots. I really dislike plastic in the garden and thought the coconut and iron was more natural looking...but..... Keeping them moist enough was sometimes a twice a day job..especially with impatience which I love. It made going away even for overnight almost impossible. The hanging plastic pots I bought to replace were rubbermainds self watering pots with wick action.....I am SOLD....some of them in sheltered spots, I am watering only once a week or less even. Even those in full sun need only once a week.....they were definately worth switching back. A pleasant surprise. I have been told tho that the self waterers without wicks do not work that well...so if you switch...keep that in mind. I am sold 100 percent...

Another thing I did was buy a pint or so container of watering crystals in the spring before I began planting...I love them...I put them in ALL my containers (my family calls me the container queen) and all my hanging baskets..I think I have about ten of those. They too help a ton. I used them also in the ground where I planted this spring...they really seem to help. The only things I can say is follow closely the measurments recommended...more is NOT better. In two pots I added extra...and I lost both pots to water saturation within weeks after planting...so follow recommendations.

I also bought rainbird sprinkler system... 25.99 at Myers...installed in ten min and does a remarkable job also. I bought four systems and zoned them...hooked them with nelson quick connects and I just move the hose to them..click and let them go..EVERYTHING gets watered well ....even the tall stuff and little seedling that sprout up. I had tried soaker hoses in the past and still use one in the garden..but was not fond of them in the flower beds...I think I have to much in the beds and snaking it everywhere was just a mess of hose. DIgging was a hassled if I wanted to move something..and there was always something that didnt get wet enough. Now I like how it works in the garden..but not in my beds. It just didn't work well for me...

All in all...those things made a HUGE diff in my labor factor. Watering is only a small job now..not a several hour project each night. I am finally happy with the results. I can enjoy my gardens more than labor in them. Now if I could just find a good weeding solution :)

What do you do? What works for you and what did not? I Know we prolly all have diff tastes and needs? Please share your knowledge and experience.

All in all..these few steps in the spring, have really made a diff....and as I said.. I love impatience...and you know how they drink and demand water.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County