SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruet

How do you plan to beat the heat this summer?

ruet
15 years ago

I'm gardening in an assortment of black plastic and transparent plastic containers on a rooftop balcony of a 5-story building in the middle of the arid Spanish plains... (btw, the rain in Spain does NOT mainly fall on the plains, reports to the contrary have been greatly exaggerated)

The containers are on top of a ceramic tile floor, which gets ridiculously hot in the middle of the 100º+ summer. Last year my tomato leaves turned crunchy and most of the tiny yield that I did get had BER.

So this year, to beat the heat I'm considering:

1. Painting the containers white

2. Using reflective mulch

3. Elevating containers off the blisteringly hot floor they're on

4. Grouping containers to share foliage shade (did this with a few containers last year, they seemed to grow the best)

5. A 45%-grade shade cloth wall to block out the afternoon scorch (also had this last year, helps keep the house cool too)

6. Lastly I'm considering using last year's disastrous overwater-prone Mel's mix as a mound around each container, the idea being that the excess irrigation water soaks the mound, and evaporative action cools everything around the pots down. I guess this adds a bit of thermal mass also.

7. Get a thermometer and actually measure the heat in the containers

Using a Raybo-style SWC is not an option as there is no equivalent to the hefty Rubbermaid totes available in the US. :-(

So for those of you facing desert conditions this summer, what have you done to keep your roots cool? What will you be trying this year?

Comments (5)