SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbyaeger

Need advice on a backyard cottage garden

pbyaeger
17 years ago

Just last summer, several of you were kind enough to give me wonderful ideas to build my cottage garden. It's flourishing, and once the roses are over their little blackspot snit, and the gardener finally shows up to weed, I promise to post pictures.

I've been asked to help a colleague create her own cottage fantasy in her backyard. She doesn't have a lot of space to work with, but she wants ideas to create something gorgeous. Her space is mostly sunny, and part of the soil stays quite moist. There's a drain in the backyard that must stay put--but I'm thinking a little bench arbor over it with climbing roses or a Pyramid trellis would cover the space perfectly.

She is open in terms of color; she'd like some roses, heather, and a flowering fruit tree. She likes crape myrtle. She loves bulbs and is willing to plant them in large clumps. She'd love a riot of color, but doesn't want to spend long hours maintaining the beast.

She is willing to rip out the current plants if necessary. Her garage is to the right in the photos--the small garage on the back of the property belongs to a neighbor so it can't be used for support.

I've posted photos for her at http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/pbyaeger/

She says she'll listen to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

pamela

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose's backyard cottage garden, before

Comments (4)

Sponsored