SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dori_alexandre

Landscape advice needed for a backyard with loads of potential!

Dori Alexandre
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

My backyard is somewhat of a hot mess :) For the last year and a half, I've focused a lot of fixing up the inside of my tiny bungalow (990 sqft), and now it's time to focus on the backyard (which measure more than 1500 sqft). My hope is that the backyard can function as an extension of our tiny house so my family (there's 3 of us!) can have more space to hang out and entertain and BBQ, especially on those rare warm northern cali days.

Feel I'm looking for: I'm a Caribbean girl, so I want my backyard to have a tropical, sunny, beach feel--- keeping in mind that we are in northern cali where it does get cold for certain plants and we are also drought prone.

Must haves:

- A large hangout area. At first, I thought I wanted to do a 24" paver patio that is about 300 sqft (see 3rd/4th picture). But now I'm wondering if instead I should do a deck. Open to ideas here!

- An area for planters. No Cali home is complete without that...duh!- Plants and flowers and maybe even some small trees - Pathways/fencing/retaining walls that create separation + a nice flow between the areas

- Low maintenance landscape (gravel? Fake but real-looking grass? combination?)

Sooo...where should I start in this process? Here are a few photos:

[What it normally looks like after a typical winter]

[when we cleared all the weeds and decided to level the ground but slope was wrong}

[This is what it looks like today. The weeds are back, you can see the 300sqft area we dug for the patio.

Comments (14)