SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcav0y_gw

too early to plant bulbs?

mcav0y
18 years ago

I would like some crocus (crocuses, croci??) and daffodils in the spring. I am a beginner gardener, and have been told that you plant bulbs in the fall. I am starting back to work in the next few weeks, and want to get some projects taken care off before then. Can I plant bulbs now? It is in the 60's right now, and our first frost is usually mid-Sept.

Comments (21)

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Well, there are two things. I don't know where you'd get bulbs yet, as they don't generally come into the stores until late August here, and mail order places don't ship to customers until much later - the end of September through October, in my experience. Are they already available where you are?
    Secondly, I'm not certain but I think there might be a risk that bulbs, planted this early (if you were able to get them to plant), might start to sprout this season, rather than waiting until spring. If it did happen, it would seem that energy stored in the bulbs would be wasted on producing foliage this season, when what you really intend is that it will go towards putting on a good show in spring. I think this might apply to tulips and daffodils; however, other small bulbs such as grape hyacinths commonly start to put out foliage in late summer/fall (but don't bloom) and it has no obvious negative effect on their spring blooming, that I can see.
    Anyway, just a couple of scattered thoughts on the subject...

• northspruce
    18 years ago

I have heard of daffodils also sprouting a bit in the fall with no adverse effects. Like ABG said you will have to find the bulbs for sale but late August doesn't seem unreasonably early to me for any of the spring bulbs.

My tulips seem to get planted in numbingly cold wet soil in early November but that's cause I'm lazy. Last Nov. I actually went to plant some tulips I had bought in September, and couldn't find them. I was cursing myself and they never did show up. Until spring that is, I found them sprouting in the garden where I FORGOT I had already planted them when I bought them. DUHHHHHH

• Related Discussions

Spring bulbs pulled up too early - can they be saved

Q

Comments (2)
    Do not cut off the leaves. Grape Hyacinths will be the hardiest of the bulbs you dug up so you might want to split them now, but put them back in the ground now and add some bone meal to each hole. Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials
    ...See More

too early to plant bulbs?

Q

Comments (4)
    It is a bit early to plant tulips but probably not fatal. Keep an eye out for early foliage sprouting which might become get frozen and become unsightly. Anemones I don't know. There are several different kinds. Not the ideal time to plant any of them, but again shouldn't do them too much harm.
    ...See More

Too early to plant outside? Too late to start indoors?

Q

Comments (1)
    The question really is whether you think you'll get a hard frost (e.g. the moisture in the soil actually freezes to any extent) or not. The tubers will survive in the soil with cool temperatures, just not frost. Remember, they are shallow root plants so you only need to freeze a couple of inches of soil and you'll kill or damage the roots. It would take several weeks of ground frost to kill the tuber (think about what happens at the end of the season.) I too am in Zone 5, and am on the side of a lake (which usually means our temperatures are slightly higher than others) but you are more daring than I. But my reason is that most of mine are 8" tall already and I don't want to have to bother with coverings for frost warnings. Most of my tubers took 15 days to go from nothing to a cuttable sprout. Were they in the ground, that sprout would have had a couple of sets of leaves above the ground and would have been highly susceptible to frost. The up-side of your plan, however, is that even if the above-ground part gets frosted, a root system should get established as well, so a new sprout should come up quickly. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you. Cheers, Russ
    ...See More

is it too early to plant tulip bulbs in Chester County?

Q

Comments (1)
    The weather will be nice this weekend too! :) If you haven't already planted I would just go ahead and do it. I plant later, but that's because I am a procrastinator, not because it's the best time to plant. I think if the soil is too warm they bulbs will not start growing, and that risks rot since they have likely been weakened and beat up a little bit during the storage and selling process. But I'm sure the soil has cooled a bit and roots should start growing quickly.
    ...See More
  • sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

You can plant crocus as soon as they become available. Costco usually has their bulbs out somewhere around mid August......I usually buy as soon as they come in and find that its best to plant them right away. It you leave them sitting around you may find that they rot.

Sierra

• mcav0y
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks! It never even occured to me that the bulbs aren't available yet.

I also never knew that costco sold bulbs!

kim

• fadoodle
    18 years ago

In fact, Costco is one of the better places to buy bulbs in Alaska -- they should be showing up any time now. And the variety offered, while not very broad, covers the basics. The nice thing is that they usually offer big bags with lots of bulbs at a very reasonable price. Buying bulbs in bulk is hard here -- most of the companies, like Van Engelen, that I used to rely on for good selection and prices, either don't ship to Alaska at all or charge heartbreaking shipping fees.

Check the zones, though -- not all bulbs, even the ones that show up in the local stores, are hardy here. And I would go ahead and plant as soon as you buy them (though it wouldn't hurt anything if you don't get them in the ground for a month or so).

• PoorMeZone3
    18 years ago

I just saw spring bulbs for sale at both Walmart and Sam's Club today. I'm going to wait another month before I shop for bulbs. I need to promise myself to save the labels after I plant. I was surprised by some alliums this spring (if only all my garden surprises were that pleasant!).

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

If you plant the bulbs now they will get a chance to root before winter. They need the roots to be well established before they freeze. Planting tulips just before the frost/freezeup, say in November, will not be as good for the bulb as planting it in the beginning of Sept. The bulb will be of a bigger size next year and more established in your garden the sooner you get it in the ground and you won't loose as many. (so I have been told by more experienced gardeners than myself) It would be interesting to do an experiment in that way for some kid for school, wouldn't it?

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Later might be better if you have problems with squirrels eating them. In later fall the squirrels will be less active and might leave em alone. Just a thought. I guess if you are a new gardener you won't know if you have squirrel problems yet.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Just want to add another of my "please support the local nursery" blurbs. We have lost so many local business' to the big box stores, that if we don't support our nurseries, they will be going too.

I think it's still too early here around Anchorage. We still have more rain ahead and that will increase your chances of them rotting. As long as the ground stays warm, they may end up being dug back up by voles or squirrels.

You can keep the bulbs for quite a while before planting, so even if you buy them early they will keep. Now is a good time to get your planting bed ready if it's a new bed.

Look at the location. I gave up on tulips since the moose just mowed them down every June. I've never lost anything to being dug up, but if you have small critters around you can put the bults in a chicken wire cage contraption.

The best time is after the trees have turned yellow and we have that real "snap" to the air. The rain is over and if your bed is ready it will be easy work. Just hard on the knees as usual. It's not like they even have to be in before the first frost. The ground isn't usually frozen until it snows some years.

If you haven't gotten a copy of Lenore Hedla's Alaska Gardener's Handbook, it's well worth picking up. It was invaluable to me when changing from a Mid-west climate to Southcentral.

Gloria

• mcav0y
    Original Author
    18 years ago

so basically what people are saying is that I should set aside some time later in the season to plant bulbs... I have to find something else to cross off my list to make time for planting bulbs :)

I have the Alaska Gardening Guide... it is super informative... lots of stuff that is never talked about down south, such as why eggplants have trouble growing here (they won't fruit until it starts to get dark, and by then the growing season is too short to mature)

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Well last evening I bought 160 crocus bulbs....and I just got finished planting them.

The bulbs are in at Costco here....I got 80 mixed giant crocus and 80 snow crocus...40 firefly and 40 dorothy. Bags of bulbs here are 12.99.

Now do I need more tulips.....Hmmmmmm
    Sierra

• mcav0y
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went to Costco (on Debarr in Anchorage), and the customer service people laughed at me. They said that they only sold bulbs in the spring and that people are supposed to keep them in the fridge until it's time to plant them.
    Me thinks they could be mistaken... I might call the other Costco tomorrow.

Kim

• mcav0y
    Original Author
    18 years ago

doh.... I called the other Costco. Bulbs have come and gone :(
    While I missed the boat on this one, quiltglo, you were correct in saying that we were not done with the rain. I am glad I waited... unless I can't find any bulbs.

Kim

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

OMG Kim your post from Sept 7, was soooo funny. Your right they didn't know what they are talking about. I had a similar conversation with a Costco employee yesterday as well only this was about digital cameras. LOL. Some employees just spout off without thinking. I had to walk away as I couldn't stop myself from laughing in his face. This was the first time I have run into this kind of thing in this store.

Wow I am surprised that Costco is out of bulbs already. They sent out a coupon booklet in the mail......and starting today there is $3.00 off per bag......I will be going later to pick up a couple more bags.

Sierra

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

I still saw a bunch at Freddys, and again, don't forget the gardening centers.

I need to get some purchased before EVERYTHING is gone. I'll remind myself to label them. Forgot that one year. It was a suprise spring.

I'm going for daffys and tulips I think. Still on a learning curve for what will work in this yard. We didn't have the summer moose we had in south Anchorage, so I'm going to be brave and put some in the front flowerbed. Maybe I'll actually get to enjoy the tulips.

Gloria

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Just have to put a plug in here, last fall I planted a lily-flowered tulip called "Pieter de Leur" and I was so impressed with it this spring. It's a beautiful rich, clear red. Also Oxford's Elite, a huge flaming orange/yellow picotee, is actually multiplying in my garden. Most tulips gradually decrease over the years for me. But not as fast as daffs, which are usually gone after about 4 years.

Oxford's Elite (crappy pic, sorry)
    {{gwi:769813}}

Just in case anyone's ... you know... shopping... not that any of us do that!

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Gosh sorry about that, I knew that pic was crappy but not that it was microscopic... guess you'll just have to believe me. LOL

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Well by the time I got to Costco last evening the bulbs had been picked over....but I still managed to find two bags of bulbs.

50 large cupped narcissi..assorted.
    50 triumph tulips 'bastoque'

I was hoping to find a bag of two colors of triumph tulips but they didn't have any left. The same with the narcissi...I was hoping to find 'ice follies' Oh well for this price these will still look good in my garden.

Tonight after work....plan on visiting the local nursery to see what specialty bulbs they have.....would like to find some blue/purple fringed tulips.

Now hopefully the weather today will stay nice so I can get these planted.

Sierra

PS....Gillian...I can see lots of color in your photo. You have to lift tulip bulbs every couple of years and divide. Replanting only the largest bulbs from each mother plant. It you don't they will crowd themselves out and die out. According to the Lois hole bulb book.....you can plant the two largest bulbs from the mother plant and they will flower the next year. The smaller bulbs can be replanted but will take a year or two to flower again. This book also says if you want to be sure of a display replant new every year.

I have some double late tulips...yellow and white that I have been dividing for years in the front flower bed. It seems to work for these at least. The ones I have scattered in the perennial gardens...I just let peter out and then replace.....because I am lazy. LOL.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Stopped by Lowe's tonight to get some lightbulbs and broke my own rule of not buying from the big box stores.

They had a good selection of bulbs, but I concentrated on tulips and daffodils. 40 bulbs for $6.99. I don't even know if that's a good deal, but I ended up buying around 75 dollars worth. I figure it's better to over than underplant this year.

Gloria

• mcav0y
    Original Author
    18 years ago

went to Alaska Mill and Feed, got 64 croci and about 30 daffodills. Call me crazy, but I am not a big tulip fan.
    Have the afternoon off tomorrow, so I am hoping to get them in the ground then :)

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Well finally the nursery here got their bulbs in. Some were unpacked on Sunday so I bought 10 striped squill....and 10 glory of the snow. I also bought 1 yellow and 1 orange hyacinth.

No purple fringed tulips this year. :-(

Finished planting the last 40 tulips and narcissi and the above on Sunday. So I am done bulb planting for this year!

Sierra