SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merilia

How much should I care about the 'weed' label of a plant?

Merilia
12 years ago

I rather enjoy the creeping buttercup that's taken over part of my yard. I like its golden flowers and deeply cut dark green leaves, and it has formed a lush carpet that stands up to a lot of traffic. It's so easy to keep trimmed with my reel mower, and it does an ok job of keeping out the uglier weeds. Also, right now it's growing in an area that is shaded heavy clay with bad drainage--not the favored growing conditions of most plants. It spreads quickly, but honestly I haven't had any issues keeping it out of the flower beds.

In short, everything about this plant is ideal, except that it's considered a weed. How much does that label really matter? Would my neighbors be justified in complaining if I let it take over the rest of the sickly-looking "lawn" area? Trying to nurse that mess of grass and weeds into a lush lawn would involve lots of labor and fertilizers and grass seed, and personally I'd be quite happy with the buttercups.

As far as environmental concerns go, creeping buttercup is not listed as a noxious weed in my area, but the government recommends keeping it out of "protected wilderness areas, natural lands that are being restored to native vegetation, and in pastures that are being grazed." None of these apply to my lawn area.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting