SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsfox_gw

Will this Emerald Green Arborvitae ever look good again?

mrsfox
10 years ago

Hello,

I planted this emerald green arborvitae last fall (2012) and it was one of the few (out of 24) to survive the winter. Most of my trees were severely dessicated and died in the spring. I am a new homeowner and have never cared for any plants before, but I have learned how important water is now after having to rip out the old trees and replant with new ones. I have watered nearly every day with a soaker hose for about 30 mins-hour each time throughout the summer because I did not have mulch down to keep the soil moist and I live in a high desert environment with very little rain. Now that we have mulch down I am watering only every three or four days. I have heard it is good to water until the ground freezes solid, so I will continue to do so probably until mid-late November.

My question is, will this dead branch grow new foliage over time, or will I have to prune it out? There were a few other leaders that died on this tree and I pruned those out, but if I take away this main leader there will be a great big hole in the tree and it will look much worse than it does now. The rest of the plant looks healthy. Will this tree just be "ugly" forever now? Or will it eventually fill in to the point that I can cut this dead piece out? Do these trees ever grow NEW leaders? Should I just replace the entire tree in the spring?

Thanks for any and all help!

Comments (16)