SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cascadians

What ID of conifer is this?

cascadians
16 years ago

The nursery that sold them to us did not know ... no tags ... both were in poor shape with dead cut-off leaders. They were yellow and scraggly when planted Dec05.

Now finally after 1 year 9 months they are flourishing and growing very fast, dark green with bright tips and thick and bushy. Think they're both the same type of tree, but not sure. Very difficult to get a good picture because there's so many trees it's a big green blur and I can't get in any spot to get a good focus. They both now have very tall new growth spurt leaders.

Frank came over recently and was curious about them, said they are not straight thuja plicatas. What are they? And we have several others from that same nursery that we can't ID, pictures of those later.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (17)

• pineresin
    16 years ago

1st pic is Sequoiadendron giganteum

2nd pic, not sure which plant is being queried

3rd pic, a willow in the foreground, and what looks to be probably Taxodium distichum behind it (too blurred to be definite)

4th pic is a Thuja, probably T. plicata but could be 'Green Giant'.

5th pic is a Eucalyptus seedling

6th pic, close left edge is Sequoiadendron giganteum, with Cedrus deodara just behind it.

Resin

• cascadians
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops, LOL ... thank you Resin ... all those pictures are asking about the same type of tree, just can't get a clear picture of the tree so trying different angles. I have 2 trees of this type in the yard. It might be some type of thuja but not a green giant since the nursery they came from never had any green giants, at least not that they know of. But gardenweb has IDed some of that nursery's other trees and the nursery lady's never even heard of those types so anything is possible.

2 trees of same type but what is the ID? Tree #1 (4 pictures of same tree):

1st picture -- tree to right of sequoia
    2nd picture -- tree straight ahead behind maple trunk
    3rd picture -- tree straight ahead (dark bottom) and you can actually see all the way to the top of the leader if you follow it up (yes that's a bald cypress to the front quite a ways in front of it in a pond)
    4th picture is a close-up of its foliage

Tree #2 (same type as Tree #1 but what is the ID?) (2 pictures of Tree #2)

5th picture -- tree straight ahead to left
    6th picture -- tree straight ahead far middle

I do have 3 green giants growing in the yard and they are different. It's weird here in Oregon, very hard to find a green giant. The stores are stuffed with emerald arborvitae but no green giants. Have to look at nurseryguide.com to try to find any wholesalers. Only found 1 at a nursery, 7 Dees, at it's $119 for a 4-footer! I got one on sale there and then 2 seedlings from forestfarm.

So what could that tree be? Not a simple straight thuja plicata, too feathery full and ornate. The nursery lady who sold it to us (no tags on any of their trees, last day of business) said they had port orfords and hogans in the past. But she did not know what it was and neither did Frank who recognizes an amazing number of plants.

Anybody recognize it or can match it to a picture ID ?

BTW the nursery was Greenleaf and the owner was pressured to sell to a developer. We stumbled across it on the last hour of their last day of business. We ribboned a bunch of trees but the owner said no he was finished. Later 2 of the employees called and salvaged those trees for us -- he gave the remaining stock to them. They took everything over to a friend's nursery land and started their own nursery. None of the trees were tagged and many were a mystery. They are very nice people with good prices on their trees and their new business is doing well. Some of the new stuff has tags but not all are accurate so we need tree sherlock holmes.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

use your photo editor.. to put a red dot on the plant you want higlighted .... ken

• cascadians
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ken, that's a great suggestion. How do I do it? Have iPhoto 5 on this iBook. Never used it. How do I put a red dot on a tree in a photo?

Tried the iPhoto help but cannot find answer. Posted the question on the iPhoto 5 forum.

Anybody know, or have any suggestions or shortcuts, please help! Or just read the descriptions above -- trying to ID the thuja plicata-type tree in all the above photos -- it's the same type of tree, but what is it?

• cascadians
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, found out iPhoto is an organizer and I need an image editor. This will take time to research and procure so if somebody can tell me what tree this is by the up-close foliage PLEASE type the ID!

This tree is photographed in all the above pictures. Too many surrounding trees to get a solo shot.

• dirtslinger2
    16 years ago

I hope that's a nursery bed. Or that you are planning to cull very hard, very soon. Just way too many trees in one spot, none will end up in good form.
    Thuja looks like it may even be one of the hedging cedar varieties. You should contact the nursery and ask which varieties they carry and go from there.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Thanks for the clarification! It looks most like straight Thuja plicata to me. One thing that would help, is a close-up of any cones (it looks like there are some on the pic, over toward the right-hand side)

Resin

• cascadians
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Resin. I'll take pictures of the cones when it stops raining. Lots of cones.

The original nursery no longer exists and the employees who took the remaining stock don't know; I've asked them several times. They barely speak English and there were no tags. Yes we have too many trees but I've explained it so many times my fingers and brain are mush, LOL

I didn't know there were hedging cedar varieties. Will Google ... thanks!

• treelover3
    16 years ago

There are true cedars (Cedrus) and those plants that are commonly/sometimes called cedars (depending on where you live): Thuja, Juniperus and Chamaecyparis.

A hedging cedar would most likely be a cultivar of Thuja occidentalis or Northern White Cedar. It could also be a cultivar of Thuja plicata, but T. plicata is a huge tree in its native habitat and much, much larger than any T. occidentalis.
    Mike

• useyourloaf
    16 years ago

As an aside, I don't think you will get away with the eucalyptus for very long. They grow fast and are not very hardy at all.

• cascadians
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Could it be a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, Lawson's Cypress aka Port Orford "Cedar" ? Hope not because it's in wet spots and those don't like too much water. Trees near them that in a few years will suck up enormous quantities of water.

The 2 trees like this are really growing fast now, very full and deep green and feathery and just so lusciously beautiful.

It's getting sunny now so I'll go take pix of cones, will take about a week to get pix back though.

About the eucs, see thread
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/nwest/msg1001125128208.html?4
    Eucalypti in this temperate rainforest

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucalypti in this temperate rainforest

• useyourloaf
    16 years ago

RE: the hardy eucs post. I'm no expert (had no idea there were 110 species (can that be right by the way)) but I'll remain cautiously skeptical a little longer.

Just becuase it could get big in Seattle doesn't mean it's hardy there. In a tropical setting on monoculture paper plantations they grow more than 10 feet in one year. They can get huge in central Florida before they die in a bad cold snap. But good luck.

• cascadians
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"There are more than seven hundred species of Eucalyptus ... " Amazing! I don't know much about eucs either, just very fortunate to run into an expert who has brought over cold-hardy water-loving eucs. Have enough trees that if some croak others will gladly grab the space. Frank travels the world to the coldest spots where eucs are growing and gets those seeds. So I have hope.

I wasn't too educated when first planted and was thrilled to get a bunch of trees at low prices and did not realize the lack of tags would make me nervous later. There's still some that I need to ID ... a lot have already been IDed thanks to the generous knowledge of posters here.

Trying to zoom in on this conifer and learn exactly what it is so I know whether or not to water it and how much ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki -- Eucalyptus

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"Could it be a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, Lawson's Cypress"

Nope, definitely a Thuja.

Resin

• cascadians
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Resin, THANK YOU !!! I'm going to stop worrying. I was thinking this beautiful tree wasn't the right type to be getting so much water. If it really is some type of thuja I don't need to worry at all and actually don't even need to know exactly what type it is. I just want it to live and grow and thrive!

Thank you so much !!

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Useyourloaf,you say that Eucalyptus isn't very hardy,well i was given one that was part of a summer bedding scheme,usually dug up and thrown out come the fall. Well its in my garden now,and has to be pruned heavily cos it just goes like stink and is in an exposed spot. i think I'll stop pruning it,let it grow to the sky. Amazingly fast growers!

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Hi Greenlarry, - re "Eucalyptus isn't very hardy" - he's talking in terms of winter cold tolerance, in which they aren't very hardy. None is reliable below zone 8; they've been tried in zone 7 on numerous occasions, and a cold winter always zaps them there sooner or later.

Resin