SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowguy716

Vegetables

snowguy716
15 years ago

Well, my gardens are very happy at the moment (and so are the weeds in them... but that's another story)

My flower garden is full of color and my shrubs are busy adding new growth.. my grass is a lush dark green, and my grape vines have made an impressive comeback (after having been munched down to stubs by the deer/rabbits)

But my biggest success has been my vegetable garden. Despite our very late spring, the warmer weather of late has done wonders (well, plus fertilizer and lots of water).

Our soil is pure sand (no rocks, no clay.. a little black soil on top), so it needs watering every day when it doesn't rain, and I fertilize it lightly once per week.

I just pulled out a red radish that was the size of a small apple and a white one that was as big as a carrot... and they were juicy and crisp and very very peppery (almost hotter than salsa).

Everything is so lush.. the peas and beans are growing quickly (the peas are about to flower).. and the beets, greens, broccoli, tomatoes, and potatoes are all doing very well. The corn is over my knee.

The tomatoes I planted from seed are really starting to take off (I plant these for late tomatoes.. I buy plants for earlier ones).. and the cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, and watermelon are all vining out...

it's been a lot of effort tilling, amending, planting, watering, fertilizing, and weeding.. but we had a great greens/radish salad the other night.

Up in the north our growing season is short, but there is no doubt it is quite sweet.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida