SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Question on Rhododendrons

manature
15 years ago

This may seem silly, but it is bugging the heck out of me. Some of you know that I read constantly, devouring books like popcorn at times, and often reading two at once. At the moment, I'm working my way through a new one by Stephen King, Duma Key. I don't know if any of you have read this book or not, but it takes place on a Florida "key" (off of Sarasota, which is a bit farther north than most of us think of when we are talking "the keys," though the term is correct for any small island, I guess.)

In his very detailed descriptions of this island, he talks about native vegetation (sea oats, etc) versus stuff that doesn't belong there (wedelia, for instance). He also repeatedly refers to heavy thickets of "rhododendrons" being everywhere. ??? The seagrapes he describes sound right. The palms and other things mentioned, I'm okay with. But what the heck does he mean by all the impenetrable thickets of rhododendrons?

Am I crazy? Do we HAVE such a thing in Florida that I have never seen in all my 65 years? Is there another big plant that makes thickets that he is talking about, that is perhaps known locally as rhododendrons? I have ruled out azaleas (in the same family) from his descriptions of them. And besides, azaleas don't grow like that on islands that far south, to my knowledge.

Yeah, I know this is fiction, but King usually does a fair job of describing locales when he is basing a story at least somewhat in reality (rather than in an alternate universe, say), and so I wondered if there is something growing on islands from Sarasota southward that I'm in the dark about. I even considered mangroves, but these are supposed to be growing on the inland side of the sand dunes.

Any thoughts on what he might mean? I mean, if he got wedelia right, why would he be so far off base with rhodies? And they seem to figure prominently in his layout of the land so far.

Just wondering what I've missed...

Marcia

Comments (15)