SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenangelcat_gw

blogs?

jenangelcat
15 years ago

does anyone here have a blog? i'm looking for some new ones to add to my favourites.

mine is www.arosecottage.blogspot.com

Comments (45)

• DYH
    15 years ago

Yes, I have one that I've been writing since early 2007. Blogging is interesting for me as I love to write. The rewards are more from sharing information...I've had over 6,000 visitors since January 1, 2008 with over 1,100 visitors in the last 30 days, so readership is picking up. I allow ads, but no, I've not been paid (got to get to $100 first and I'm far from that, LOL) so don't count on ads for any kind of compensation.

My main focus is deer resistant gardening, but I include other topics including visits to local nurseries or photos of public gardens that I visit in the US and Europe.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Defining Your Home Garden

• alisande
    15 years ago

Oh, no . . . I can see I'm going to be adding more blogs to my Favorites list. And just when I said I was going to cut down a bit on Internet time . . .

Here's Sweet Rocket, my active blog. It isn't dedicated to gardening, but gardening entries and photos appear often.

It has links to two other blogs of mine that are no longer active but still fun. Quiet Stars is my song blog. Each entry is about a song that I like, most with links to YouTube performances. My 40-words-a-day blog was a project in which I wrote 40 words a day (no more, no less) for 365 days about people who have crossed my path in a significant way. I loved doing that, and a lot of people found it interesting to read. I highly recommend it as a writing exercise.

• Related Discussions

good garden blogs for Northern Ca ?

Q

Comments (5)
    I see this is an old post, but it was called up as I was just searching for other bloggers in CA too. I started one during the pandemic. We’ve been gardening here for 20±. I enjoy also seeing what other gardeners are up to. My blog is: https://the-compulsive-gardener.com/home-2/blog/
    ...See More

good blogs with ideas--not our blogs

Q

Comments (6)
    moccasinlanding, I went to Thistlewood, and I just spent 30 minutes reading the site. It's great. Thanks for posting that link! I found a post about how to get scratches off white plates. I'm a little scared to try it (liquid Barkeeper's Friend), but I think I may have to try. To answer your question, I follow waaay too many blogs. If any of you have a Mac, there is a program called Reeder that will take all the RSS feeds you subscribe to in Google Reader, strip out all the ads and other "icky" things (like flashing banners, canned music, etc) and reformat them so that all you see is the text and images. It's beautiful, and very efficient. Imagine having a beautiful magazine, all about decorating (in my case, anyway!), delivered to your computer every day, for free. Of course, Reeder is also very dangerous. I can now follow about 45 blogs in less than 15 minutes a day. Unfortunately, it looks like Thistlewood Farm does not allow people to follow with Google Reader. Sigh. But some of my favorite blogs are: Better After: http://betterafter.blogspot.com/ Between Naps on the Porch: http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ Jennifer Rizzo: http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/
    ...See More

I now blog - who else here blogs?

Q

Comments (18)
    I enjoy looking at all of your blogs. It makes me realize, once again, what a variety folks on this forum read. The public library system for which I work has a readers advisory blog and I am one of the contributors. Our emphasis is on new books of all genres. It's really fun and one of its perks is that I get LOTS of arcs, but I do find it requires some fairly focused reading--and focused writing at deadline time. Here is a link that might be useful: Between the Covers
    ...See More

Blog post about iding roses

Q

Comments (4)
    Please update the blog post to show examples of how it should be done, instead of an example of how it shouldn't be done. If you don't want to have a ton of photos, do only one rose - full bush, canes, leaves, then flowers. When we ask for those photos, it seems a lot of people don't really understand why, so they don't necessarily show what we are looking for. Also, I second and third Jackie's recommendation of knowing WHERE the rose is growing. It seems rare these days for new posters to have any idea where they live, and it is important.
    ...See More
  • libbyshome
    15 years ago

I have a garden blog but it's not public. Just a place to comment on weather conditions re gardening, new plants,
    some pics, what's doing well and what isn't. I only use it for important things and don't post alot. I started it years ago on Lycos tripod then moved to a blog server.

Libby

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

I have a blog, but am a sporadic blogger. I blog about herbs and about my crazy quilts. It is www.GreenSpiralHerbs.blogspot.com

• memo3
    15 years ago

I blog but have not done so in a month or more. Hope to find some time soon to get back to it. It's so busy around here in the summer!

MeMo

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilted HIlls Blog

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Where are all our bloggers? It's the time of year to be documenting our disasters and triumphs.

Someone who looked at Secrets of a Seedscatterer made me realize that it may not be clear
    that the links under 'My Other Blogs' are blogs also belonging to me.
    Seedscatterer is the garden blog.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Secrets of a Seedscatterer

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Here's a whole list of lists of blogs. lol. Have fun:

Power Guides Garden Blog List

Top 100 Garden Blogs

Blog Catalog - Gardens

digindirt garden blogs list

garden network

And there's always GardenWeb's own Voices or My Folia.

• foxglove
    15 years ago

I write a blog about our daughter. She's not a flower, but she's CUTE!!! I've thought about starting a garden blog all summer, but just haven't gotten around to it. I need more time!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Audrey Burke

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

I just started a blog, more or less for the fun of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerLady's Musings

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

I have one that I started writing in July: sweetbay103.blogspot.com

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention earlier how much I like your cottage photo on the right of your blog, JenAngel.

Flowerlady, it's about time. I always enjoy hearing about your flowers and what goes on at your place.

Alicia, your blog is off to a flying start to have started so recently. Your commentaries make your photos come alive.

Nell

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Nell.

I haven't done much else to the exterior since doing the windows. We have been renovating the bathroom. It's got a cottagey theme going for it. It's on my blog.

• organic_flutterby
    15 years ago

I recently started a blog, it is fun to write about stuff as if someone is actually interested and actually reading, lol.(I pretend) Although I am interested in reading several blogs I have run across. I don't get many visitors but that's ok, I like to write anyway. I hope as my plan gets more underway I will have more exciting stuff to write and maybe get more readers. I will visit all the blogs listed here, but it will take me some time. I have included a link for mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Live, Love, and Be Free

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Call me crazy - I barely keep up with this thread. The blogs all look so interesting, but, even with not working right now, I could not more keep up with another Garden Forum, much less blogs, and to keep a blog, well, omg, I would need to have at least one cogent thought a day; I'm not going to hold my breath on that.....I never kept a diary as a child, and if I tried to write something every day, it could end up horribly wrong, as a rant, which would not be pretty.

Nancy. - who is trying to make nice.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Nancy, I respect your opinions. Blogs are definitely not for everybody. On the other hand, there's no rule that daily postings are required on a blog, unless you have a following who demands it.

With two clicks, you can have a blog's feed sent to a sidebar on your computer (they call it a 'feed') and follow one or two of the ones you find most interesting. Mousing over will tell you if there's something new.

I restrict my feeds to mostly garden bloggers in warm zones who garden most like what I aspire to. I also visit a very few blogs who are old cyber-friends, fun to read.

As for cogent thoughts, two of my blogs (Dotty Pants & Mary Zelda) are off the wall subjects to entertain, and rarely inform, my kin. Surely nobody else follows or cares!

I noticed that Memo has returned to blogging; I'm glad to see her feeling well enough to describing moving the cows to another pasture.

Nell

• derelictgardener
    15 years ago

I have looked at the Blog roll. Far too many for me to surf through with my archaic dial-up. Is there a way to find just blogs about cottage gardens? I have even tried UK sites to no avail. All queries seem to bring me to the same few. So...............

Does anyone know of some good English cottage garden Blogs chock full of pics?

Thanks,
    Mihai

• memo3
    15 years ago

Thank you, Nell :) You've made my heart sing today.

Hugs,
    MeMo

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Well, this has opened up lots of possibilities for me for winter reading!

MeMo, I love your blog.....really enjoyed the cattle part. We still live on the farm and raise beef cattle. It was comforting to see others "miss" getting the bulls castrated...I convinced myself that we didn't loose much by missing the process! I hope you are feeling well enough to continue the ranching and the blogging!

When I remember, I have been visiting and enjoying Nell and Cameron's blogs. Now I need to find a midwesterner or southern Ozarks blogger.

I can see I will be spending way too much time on the internet this winter.
    glenda

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Thank you Nell. :)

Flowerlady I love the pictures in your blog. I hadn't heard of Mm. Laurette Messimy before, that one sounds intriguing. What is the pink rose that's at the top?

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

MeMo I love your blog too. It's so interesting to read about farm life!

Was your yellow rose ever identified? It looks like one of these: R. primula, R. hugonis, or R. xanthina. There are the hybrids Canary Bird and Cantabrigiensis as well. Olga on the Antique Roses forum posts pictures of her Oriental yellows every year; I bet someone there could narrow down the identity of your yellow rose.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

Can anyone recommend blogs for colder climates? (zone 4 or even zone 5) I really don't have time to search through all the lists to find them.

Memo your blog sounds interesting, can you please post the link, I have no clue how to find it?

Jenny p

• memo3
    15 years ago

Glenda and all, here is a blog that I can highly recommend to you. This blogger is a Missourian and a former farmer/rancher. She has a gorgeous home and beautiful gardens and is a most accomplished decorator. I've known her for several years over the internet, even prior to her beginning a blog. She's a delightful person and a regular traveler, so her writings are always very interesting. She also takes the most amazing photographs. I hope you enjoy her blog as much as I do!

MeMo

PS...Thank you, Glenda, for your very sweet compliment!

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Porch Musings

• memo3
    15 years ago

Thank you, Alicia! Thanks also for the good tips on identifying my rose. I'll go check those out and see if I can find it.

JennyPat, the link to my blog is below. I have all the time in the world, I'll see if I can find any cold zone garden blogs for you. I'm zone 4 but I can't garden anymore, so you won't find anything garden related on my blog anymore. Sorry.

MeMo

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilted HIlls Blog

• memo3
    15 years ago

JennyPat, start with this one, a very nicely done blog. This blogger is located in Ohio which I think might be zone 4 or 5. Then check out her blog roll on the right side, she has her favorites listed by location and there are many there that are zone 4 or 5. I'm going to go back and check out the NE and IA blogs myself.

Enjoy!
    MeMo

Here is a link that might be useful: A Study in Contrasts

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

Thanks Memo!
    Nebraska and Iowa are closer to me than Ohio! LOL I mentioned Zone 4 because there are more zone 4 people than zone 3 like me! And zone 5 I can read but remember that they are zone 5. The warmer zones, just get me more confused than my DH says I am already!!

Jenny p

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

jenangelcat ~ Your daughter is a sweetie in her little costume. Your jars of salsa and jelly had my mouth watering. More reading to do for sure.

Cameron ~ Your website it always filled with color, interesting articles and much info. You've done a fantastic job with your gardens and your blog. It's no wonder you are being recognized for your efforts in both areas.

organicflutterby ~ Your website is interesting and I look forward to reading more.

Nell ~ I'm always inspired by your blog. We are able to grow a lot of the same things.

foxglove ~ Your daughter is a real sweetie pie also. Cute blog.

Alicia ~ I love your blog. Very colorful, informative and inspiring. The pink rose at the top of my blog is an old stand-by, Pink Pet, or Caldwell's Pink. It's a sweetie.

Memo ~ I also enjoyed reading about moving your cattle. I've always been inspired by your writings. You lead an interesting life as a rancher's wife.

Thanks everyone for posting your blog addies, and for all the effort that goes into each one. They are all very nicely done

FlowerLady

• memo3
    15 years ago

Jenny, here is anothe,r that I found, that specifically caters to "cold zone gardening". It isn't really a blog as we normally think of blogs (individuals) but it has a really good list of links that name specific plants that would be of interest to you. It also has a lot of links to articles, magazines, books etc. that you could gather much information from. I find that often, as I follow links, that each site I visit has even more links that keep me going and going in the same direction. Having the internet is like having all the worlds libraries at your finger tips.
    Isn't it great?!!!

Have fun!
    MeMo

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Climate Gardening

• DYH
    15 years ago

Before I add blog links off of my blog, I ask the owner's permission. So, if any of you would like to have your blog linked from mine, please drop me an email through My Page here or from my blog (same email address).

That said, if a blog is rather personal such as family stuff with family photos, I prefer not to link because I am very protective of my own family photos and info being out on the web.

Thanks,
    Cameron

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Cameron, you might want to drop my 'Year Around Garden' blog and add 'Secrets of a Seedscatterer' instead, which gets updated more often.

Year Around Garden is on Wordpress and is more a web site than a regular blog. I found Wordpress to be more cumbersome to use (there has to be an easier way to add pix) and just update it when I'm practicing Wordpress skills.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Secrets of a Seedscatterer

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

If you are interested in tomatoes and peppers. My friend, Terry aka Tomatoaddict, has a fun blog. See the link below.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoaddict Blog

• DYH
    15 years ago

Nell -- thanks...I've made the switch! Love the look of your blog. I somehow missed that you had more than one.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Cameron ~ Thanks for the tidbit about asking people if you can post their blog links in your blog.

FlowerLady

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

I've bookmarked people's blogs when I see the links, and read them off and on. I have been looking these up the last few days, and bookmarked most of them. I decided to try starting a blog, and see what happens with it. FlowerLady, I love your title and the explanation. That's what mine may end up being. I'm really not sure. I have a question. I had not put the name of my blog, "A Corner Garden" at blogspot anywhere until now, but this evening I saw that I have a follower. When I clicked on her pic, her blog showed up, and it's about fashion and music that I don't care for. She does look young. I remember my DD talking about people on My Space asking to be your friend, when they are businesses, not individuals. I thought maybe that's what this was, but she left a message to me about my first post, and said she liked one of my pics with the daisy like flowers the best. I have the choice to block her, but don't want to if she is a real person. Is there a way to tell?

Also, I tried to subscribe to the feeds of the blogs listed here. I was able to from Flowerlady's, but couldn't find that link on the others, but was able to list myself as a follower from my blog. I am up way past my bedtime, so I'm going to make myself go to bed. I don't know if I had to list myself as a follower in order to subscribe to the blogs.

Any tips or clarification would be appreciated.
    Sue

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Sue ~ I visited your blog after I saw that you were a new follower of mine. I loved yours and think you will do fine. It doesn't have to be intimidating and you don't have to do it all the time, there are no set rules on how often you have to post. At least not that I've seen anywhere.

Maybe Cameron or Memo can answer your questions because they've been blogging longer. I'm still a newbie learning my way around.

You can block followers, and you can block comments as well. I don't know how you would tell if a person is nice or not, I guess only time will tell. Since this young lady posted a nice comment I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy.

It's warm and sunny down here today. Sure wish it would cool down, I mean, come on it is October after all.

FlowerLady

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

LOL FlowerLady,
    I'm going to be thankful for all the warm days we can squeeze out of fall before the cold days and nights of winter. I suppose your warm and mine are different temps, though. We got up to 78 today, but I think tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the 60s.

Thanks for your encouragement and help with the blog questions.

Sue

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Finally getting caught up on so many threads after being gone for awhile but this is a wonderful thread. I have been to a few of the blogs listed in this thread and enjoy everyone of them - I can NEVER see too many pretty flowers and always learn from each and every one of you. My husband and I do have one - it is a mix of family, holiday decorations and gardens. We started it when we got married and it is just basically a journey of our lives. All are welcomed to check us out - we are not all that exciting but we do love life especially the simple everyday things:).....

Lynne

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartland Gardens

• DYH
    15 years ago

"Follower" is a new feature just released in Blogger and hasn't quite caught on yet. Right now, I have 3 followers (but I have several thousand readers per month).

I think "Followers" is bloggers following bloggers, but not sure yet. On my Dashboard (private space), I can read all the blogs that I'm following. Following basically means a subscription though the "Follower" option.

Subscriptions...

There are several ways to subscribe to a blog.

By Email -- on my blog there is an option to receive an email each time I publish an article. This usually goes out around 3-4pm Eastern time. It does include photos, but you may have to allow your email to accept the photos by saying that I'm a "safe sender."

By feeds -- you can use the RSS Feeds option and read my blog though feeds instead of going directly to my blog.

By reader -- you can use a reader tool, like Google Reader, that gives you a list of the headlines for all of your subscriptions that you can click on and read. If you look at the sidebar of my blog, that's basically what's happening when you see....

Blog name
    Article title
    30 minutes ago

I've imported all those subscriptions into my blog so that you don't have to do the work yourself...but, you can. If you click on the blog name, you go to the blog front page. If you click on the article title, you go to that article.

When a blog offers a subscription, I don't think you need to ask permission to post a link...they have implied that you can read their blog from another location.

My blog is linked "out in the Web world" by almost 500 other sites. I didn't give each one permission -- they subscribed because I let them.

From my perspective, I like for people to come to my blog to read my articles.

Why? Because I have links to so many other garden blogs, interesting links, articles, magazines and news that you can't see if you use a subscription.

My two cents' worth!
    Cameron

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

When I find a blog I want to follow, I look on my Browser Toolbar for the RSS icon -- the little orange and white square -- click on it and follow the directions in the window that opens.

When I want to read my fav blogs, I click on a star on the toolbar of my Browser that givesan option of Favorites or Feeds, choose Feeds and all my feeds are displayed. Blogs with new posts are in bold letters.

When I read a feed, if I want to read the whole blog, I click on the post title of that feed and go to the blog.

The 'Followers' concept is not one I chose to follow.

Nell

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I'm so happy to have more blogs to keep up with from my fellow GW'ers! I've just started one myself, which will probably have a bit more to do with cottage decor than with gardening. So far, I'm having entirely too much fun with this! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Technicolor Cottage

• DYH
    15 years ago

Hi Auntjen! Great to see you "on this side" of the forums!

Cute blog! Of course, I love your decor -- as always!

Cameron

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    15 years ago

Sorry to hijake, but is there a way I can look into making my own blog up? I have no idea on where to start?

Melissa

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

Hi Auntjen, I know what you mean about having too much fun with this. But, you know, creating a blog must be good for the brain, because you just keep learning new things!

Melissa, I don't remember how I actually got started. Try Googling Blogspot and then follow the directions there. Someone else here may have better help than me, though. I just know that when you go to "customize" there are a whole bunch of ways to add things to your blog.

I have decided the easiest way for me to follow blogs is to become a follower, but Nell, I should try your way some time and see if I like that. I started to try the Google Reader, but I was used to the way Blogspot presents the articles, and they don't get deleted after you read them. I have some blogs that I just read from my bookmarks, though. I should put them in a reader of some kind.

I have learned how to post links, now!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: A Corner Garden

• DYH
    15 years ago

There's a good Blogging for Dummies book if you want to do it right from the beginning. Or, you can wing it. Go to Blogger, Wordpress, Typepad or some host and just start playing around with it to learn as you go.

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

So, Melissa, if you got your blog set up, please let us know how to find it.

Sue

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

I am bringing this back up, too, since I put a link to this forum on my blog, and there are some blogs listed here that weren't on the other thread about blogging. Before rereading this, I was remembering that I left off Flowerlady and organic flutterby, who is Sunday Girl on her blogs as people who encouraged my blogging. There are some here I haven't kept up with, so I want to click on their links again. Also, I had forgotten that some who I read were from here first, like Sweetbay.

Sue

Sponsored