SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

Let's talk natural insecticides and their effectiveness

glen3a
16 years ago

Just curious what 'natural' insecticides people are using and how they find they work.

I splurged and bought a hibiscus for the back deck this summer so I could enjoy a bit of the tropics. First, the plant gets spider mites. I spray with a mild mix of cygon. This is the worse insecticide and the furthest thing away from being natural, but I had it in the house and it does the job. It smells bad, however and I hate using it.

Then, after that, the hibiscus develops some type of black bug mostly on the unopened flower buds (aphids maybe? They are small, black and sort of resemble poppy seeds.)

Anyways, I decide to research a more environmentally safe insecticide that's easier to use. After doing research on insecticides, I discover something called Neem oil, a natural oil from the neem oil tree. The insecticide works in a few ways: smothering insects, disrupting their reproduction, systematically gets absorbed into the plant and also just makes the leaves taste so bad that the insects stop feeding. Plus, it's apparently non-toxic to humans and animals. In fact it's also used as a natural fungicide in plants and beauty products for people. I figure it's worth a try.

Neem oil is apparently sold in pre-mixed bottles as an insecticide or as a concentrate. Here's an interesting thing: It's apparently used as a plant leaf shine as well. In fact one way to make sure you get the purest and strongest concentrate is to buy the neem oil sold as a leaf shine and mix it yourself. The leaf shine I bought didn't really mention it's insecticidal properties, but did make some comment about being used "for leaf health". So I pay $13 for a small bottle of concentrate that you mix yourself. Just mix the appropriate amount in warm water in a spray bottle, add dish detergent (to help it disperse better), shake, and then spray the plant.

After a couple of sprays it still has some bugs on a few of the buds, but not as bad as it was. I think that's the only downfall, the neem oil insecticide might need a few applications to totally control the problem (though to be honest, I wasn't sure how the plant might react to neem oil so errored on the side of caution and mixed it at a mild strength.) As a bonus, the leaves are very shiny and attractive.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried Neem oil or any natural insecticide remedies that work. I once bought safers insecticide soap when my false aralia houseplant had bugs, but it ended up killing the plant. Perhaps this was an exceptional side effect.

Glen

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022