SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Wave Petunias

sierra_z2b
17 years ago

I have started the regular wave petunias from seed for several years now. For a few years I was putting 3 wave plants in those little white plastic garden swans....and with everything I read....they should have filled the swan and covered the railing that they were sitting on and so forth......but although the three plants filled the swan planter and did cascade nicely.....they never really took off. I had also tried them in the garden and again they didn't take off like they were supposed to. I still used them every year but not like they were supposed to be.

This year I was going to cut back on the petunias...but DH found a pack of Tidal Wave cherry and wanted me to try them...so I did. I think there were 5 sprouts from the pack. Once they started to take off a bit I transplanted them into 4 inch pots......the first sprouts, got big fast, so I moved them to slightly bigger pots. I took cuttings and just watched them grow. LOL One plant in particular, wouldn't slow down......so I put that one into a gallon pot. I also took a second set of cuttings. These things just want to grow...doesn't matter what you do. Every cutting from both sets of cuttings took.

One of these plants would have been to big to put in the swan planter at plant out time. So I put three into a wooden planter and they have filled it and ummmmmmm are trying to take over the driveway.

Ya, I know this is long.....but I am curious if this is just the difference in the plain wave petunias and the Tidal wave petunias or was it the difference in the size of the grow out pots? What experiences have you all had with this.

I also noticed in the seed catalogues Easy Wave petunias....any body grow them this year and what have been your experiences with them?

Sierra

Comments (15)