SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24854469

Do I absolutely need a grow light to start wave petunias from seed?

User
7 years ago

Hey all,

Beginner gardener here, I have some big dreams for my garden this year including some beautiful hanging baskets and a "flower tower" with wave petunias!

Here's my question, based on the number of plants I'll need this year I'm thinking the most economical way to start these petunias may be from seed.

But, do I absolutely need a grow light to be successful? My plan was to get a seed tray and supplies from my local farm store and start them in my office, which has a south-facing window and would get plenty of light. However, being I've never done this before, would that be a total and complete waste of time?

If not, I guess plan B is to just buy them from the nursery, which would be alright. But here are a few more questions:

1. A lot of these "flower tower" plans say to cut a + shaped hole in a tarp and stick the petunia in. Would the ones I get from the nursery in April or May be too big for this?

2. How does everyone keep their flowers warm until it's safe enough temperature-wise to go outside? I live in the upper Midwest, so has anyone had luck sticking them in the garage until then? If my seed germination plans don't turn out I'm wondering how to time this right so I don't have a bunch of unhappy plants in my garage, or if later on, plants that are too big to plant in the tower or hanging baskets.

thanks a lot for your advice!

Comments (5)