SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsiechicky

Weeping trees...

16 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a smaller sized (drawf) weeping tree. I'm not having much luck finding them via searches online so I thought maybe you all had some suggestions as I know nothing about trees.

Thanks,

Chelsie

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There are several kinds of weepers which also include fruit trees.

I have a weeping crabapple. I planted a weeping cherry at my last residence. Both are small and slow growing.

Some others you may want to research are-
    Weeping white mulberry
    Weeping peach
    Several species of Japanese maples
    Several species of conifers

• 16 years ago

Here's some weepers that I googled for you. It'll get you started LOL! I don't know if these are hardy for your zone but it gives a nice list of weepers to look up and study. Good luck.

MeMo

Weeping Cherry (Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula')
    Weeping Cedar (Cedrus 'Aurea')
    Weeping Salix (Salix Hakuro Nishiki)
    Weeping Spirea shrub (Spiraea japonica Shibori)
    Weeping Beech
    Weeping Cherry
    Weeping Hemlock
    Weeping Larch
    Weeping Norway Spruce
    Weeping White Pine
    BETULA PENDULA TRISTIS A graceful form of the silver birch with steeply drooping branches; youngii is smaller, more compact and slow-growing.

BUXUS SEMPERVIRENS PENDULA A good weeping form of the common box. CARAGANA ARBORESCEN PENDULA An attractive small weeping tree with yellow pea-shaped flowers and fernlike leaves.

CRATAEGUS MONOGYNA PENDULA A weeping hawthorn; pendula rosea has pink flowers.

FAGUS SYLVATICA PENDULA The weeping beech, making a big tree; purpureopendula is a weeping form of the purple beech.

FRAXINUS EXCELSIOR PENDULA The well-known weeping ash.

GLEDITSCHIA TRIACANTHOS

BUJOTI A honey-locust with pendulous branches,

ILEX AQUIFOLIUM ARGENTEOMARGINATA PENDULA Perry's silver weeping holly, berrying freely.

LABURNUM ANAGYROIDES PENDULUM A gracefully weeping laburnum.

MALUS The following crab-apples have pendulous branches: M. floribunda' `Excellens Thiel', a small tree with crimson buds and pink flowers, floriferous but no fruit; M. prunifolia pendula, the weeping Siberian crab, with numerous small, scarlet, persistent fruit; M. pumila pendula `Elise Ratlike', a weeping form of the native crab.

MORUS ALBA PENDULA The weeping white mulberry is a small tree with perpendicular branches, the fruit is insignificant.

PRUNUS PERSICA'Windle Weeping' A weeping peach with double pink flowers; P. subhirtella pendula, the weeping spring cherry, has very numerous pale pink flowers; in pendula rubra they are deeper colored. P. yedoensis perpendens is a very pendulous form of the early

Yoshino cherry. PYRUS SALICIFOLIA PENDULA A very pendulous form of the silver willowleaved pear,

SALIX ALBA TRISTIS The now common weeping willow, making a large tree; S. babylonica is rare and not satisfactory.

SOPHORA JAPONICA PENDULA A small arbour-like tree with slender branchlets falling perpendicularly.

SORBUS-ARIA A weeping form of the whitebeam. S. aucuparia pendula, a weeping form of the rowan. Both are small trees.

TILIA PETIOLARIS The weeping silver lime is a magnificent tree with a silvery sheen on the underside of the large leaves.

ULMUS GLABRA CAMPERDOWNII The smaller of the two weeping wych elms with very pendulous branches, pendula being larger and more spreading in form.

Conifers

CHAMAECYPARIS LAWSONIANA

INTERTEXTA A tall cypress of great beauty with drooping branches. C. nootkatensis pendula a handsome, rather large tree with long drooping branches. JUNIPERUS RECURVA COXII A moderate-sized, narrow tree with long, glaucous shoots drooping steeply.

LARIX LEPTOLEPIS PENDULA A weeping form of the Japanese larch.

PICEA BRACHYTYLA This has slender, pendulous branchlets, the leaves blue and white underneath; P. breweriana, Brewer's weeping spruce, is a sombre tree with very long branchlets that hang vertically; P. smithiana, the Himalayan spruce, is a large tree with steeply drooping branchlets and exceptionally long leaves.

TAXUS BACCATA DOVASTONIANA A yew with spreading branches from which the branchlets droop; aureovariegata is a golden-leaved form.

BETULA PENDULA TRISTIS A graceful form of the silver birch with steeply drooping branches; youngii is smaller, more compact and slow-growing.

BUXUS SEMPERVIRENS PENDULA A good weeping form of the common box. CARAGANA ARBORESCEN PENDULA An attractive small weeping tree with yellow pea-shaped flowers and fernlike leaves.

CRATAEGUS MONOGYNA PENDULA A weeping hawthorn; pendula rosea has pink flowers.

FAGUS SYLVATICA PENDULA The weeping beech, making a big tree; purpureopendula is a weeping form of the purple beech.

FRAXINUS EXCELSIOR PENDULA The well-known weeping ash.

GLEDITSCHIA TRIACANTHOS

BUJOTI A honey-locust with pendulous branches,

ILEX AQUIFOLIUM ARGENTEOMARGINATA PENDULA Perry's silver weeping holly, berrying freely.

LABURNUM ANAGYROIDES PENDULUM A gracefully weeping laburnum.

MALUS The following crab-apples have pendulous branches: M. floribunda' `Excellens Thiel', a small tree with crimson buds and pink flowers, floriferous but no fruit; M. prunifolia pendula, the weeping Siberian crab, with numerous small, scarlet, persistent fruit; M. pumila pendula `Elise Ratlike', a weeping form of the native crab.

MORUS ALBA PENDULA The weeping white mulberry is a small tree with perpendicular branches, the fruit is insignificant.

PRUNUS PERSICA'Windle Weeping' A weeping peach with double pink flowers; P. subhirtella pendula, the weeping spring cherry, has very numerous pale pink flowers; in pendula rubra they are deeper colored. P. yedoensis perpendens is a very pendulous form of the early

Yoshino cherry. PYRUS SALICIFOLIA PENDULA A very pendulous form of the silver willowleaved pear,

SALIX ALBA TRISTIS The now common weeping willow, making a large tree; S. babylonica is rare and not satisfactory.

SOPHORA JAPONICA PENDULA A small arbour-like tree with slender branchlets falling perpendicularly.

SORBUS-ARIA A weeping form of the whitebeam. S. aucuparia pendula, a weeping form of the rowan. Both are small trees.

TILIA PETIOLARIS The weeping silver lime is a magnificent tree with a silvery sheen on the underside of the large leaves.

ULMUS GLABRA CAMPERDOWNII The smaller of the two weeping wych elms with very pendulous branches, pendula being larger and more spreading in form.

Conifers

CHAMAECYPARIS LAWSONIANA

INTERTEXTA A tall cypress of great beauty with drooping branches. C. nootkatensis pendula a handsome, rather large tree with long drooping branches. JUNIPERUS RECURVA COXII A moderate-sized, narrow tree with long, glaucous shoots drooping steeply.

LARIX LEPTOLEPIS PENDULA A weeping form of the Japanese larch.

PICEA BRACHYTYLA This has slender, pendulous branchlets, the leaves blue and white underneath; P. breweriana, Brewer's weeping spruce, is a sombre tree with very long branchlets that hang vertically; P. smithiana, the Himalayan spruce, is a large tree with steeply drooping branchlets and exceptionally long leaves.

TAXUS BACCATA DOVASTONIANA A yew with spreading branches from which the branchlets droop; aureovariegata is a golden-leaved form.

• 16 years ago

Wowzers!! Now I know what I will be doing for the next week!! Thanks so much for all the info on them!!

Chelsie

• 16 years ago

I have a weeping cherry that I got from Lowes this past spring it's about 5' tall and growing pretty well. They also had weeping redbuds that, like the japanese weeping maple, was not supposed to get very tall at all.
    Metro maples has some of what you're looking for too:
    http://www.metromaples.com
    2 months ago I found a 6' weeping mulberry (non-fruit bearing) that I just adore. That was at Costco and it only cost $35. My japanese weeping maple I got from Parks Wholesale for $14.95 is a wee little thing, only 2 ft tall. It's supposed to stay very short too. I bought it to over hang a pond I have yet to get around to building. We have a thing for weeping trees in my house, both my husband and I just love the look.

Here is a link that might be useful: weeping redbud

• 16 years ago

How about a weeping mulberry? We have one and love it. It can be trained to grow in different ways. Some look very "gnarled" and old. Others are trimmed up very differently.

We have trimmed ours somewhat as it is easier to mow under it. However, if left to grow it grows right down to the ground. Ours is trained to grow sideways, but the picture below does not show that. Sorry it was the only picture I could find.

I did a google image search and found some examples of the gnarled look.
    {{gwi:717441}}

Here is a link that might be useful: image search on google

• 16 years ago

Parks just sent an email about their weeping Japanese maples, 3ft tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parks japanese maple

• 16 years ago

My Aunt has a weeping redbud and it's beautiful!! But it's a little too large for the area I'm thinking of putting one.

I love the looks of the mulberry ones also. I'm pretty sure they stay dormat here in NY for a while though and I would like something that is nice in the spring also.

Going to check on this weeping Japanese Maples at Parks now.. thanks so much everyone for all the info :)
    Chelsie

• 16 years ago

And, of course,there's the most graceful of all---and suitable small--Cercidiphyllum japonicum "Pendula", weeping Katsura, with its strands of heart-shaped blue-green leaves hanging down.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville