SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
albaby_gw

Diatomaceous earth and aphid control

albaby
13 years ago

I've written before of my (thus far) futile efforts to control the aphids that are plaguing my poor eggplants...and at Lou's suggestion, I picked up some diatomaceous earth and a handy duster. So for the past week and a half, I've periodically given the eggplants a good shot of DE - making sure to get into the crevasses and under the leaves.

Unfortunately, there's been no real effect. In fact, since I stopped my efforts at spraying with soap solution in favor of dusting, the little critters have propagated like....well, like wildly propagating insects, I guess. The blooms are so completely covered with aphids you cannot see the underlying petals, while the undersides of some leaves are so thickly coated that you could write your name with your finger, scraping them off. Ugh!

So I wonder...am I perhaps doing something wrong? I've got food-grade DE, dusting every 2-3 days, shooting enough out to make my plants look like a powdered donut (though not opaquely white). Or does it just take this long to bring the aphids under control?

Albaby

Comments (14)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES