SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetotweet

Diatomaceous Earth & Organic Bug Control...Some precautions...

lovetotweet
15 years ago

Greetings!

About a month ago, I posted a question on the forum about organic tick control. One popular recommendation was the use of Diatomaceous Earth (a recommendation also noted on a number of reputable websites, etc.). Through the discussion, we discovered that food grade DE is recommended for treating the yard, and even can be used on pets' coats. I was excited to find a safe alternative to harsh chemicals.

However, I wanted to pass on some very pertinent information that I just discovered after visiting my holistic veterinarian. DE is actually NOT safe to use on pets without extreme caution. When rubbed on pets' coats, it can severely dry out their skin (which can cause health problems that do far beyond dull coats!). Even more important to note is that dry DE can be very harmful to the lungs, both for pets and humans. Because of the structure of DE (tiny fossilized oceanic micro-organs with sharp edges...obviously a lay-person's description!), if DE is accidentally inhaled while applying it can be harmful to lung tissue, etc. The vet recommended combining DE with water in a sprayer, spraying the yard, and then watering it in before allowing pets to spend time out there. Bummer! It's still a viable option for some uses in organic pest control, but should always be used with caution. (I wonder if watering in is all that safe with all of the wind we've been having...what happens when it dries out?)

I know that all of us here are trying to learn/share more effective ways of gardening, and it's also obvious that there are lots of organic gardeners and pet lovers on the forum, so I wanted to pass this information on! :-)

Blessings,

Ada

Comments (21)